The International School of Business provides a liberal arts-based, experiential learning-oriented undergraduate business education. The program incorporates an integrative approach in keeping with today’s dynamic business environment. The ISB works collaboratively with other Finlandia programs and with the local community to establish networks of knowledge and resources, promote successful business and entrepreneurial ventures, and support the university mission.
Through its progressive course and program offerings, practical oriented approach, global emphasis, and adherence to quality teaching methods and standards, the ISB will be the institution of choice for those seeking a quality well-rounded business education in a small college environment.
With a focus on small and medium-sized businesses, the ISB prepares undergraduate students for business-related careers. The BBA core of classes provides a solid foundation in accounting, business law, economics, finance, management, marketing, and computing. Advanced coursework adds depth of knowledge in one of seven business majors. The ISB faculty is devoted to teaching. Many professors have prior business experience, and all work closely with students to guide them through the educational experience. The ISB believes that the greatest rewards come to those who understand and practice sound business leadership skills for the benefit of employers and employees, customers, and other stakeholders. Teaching those leadership skills comprises the foundation of the BBA curriculum.
Upon completion of the Bachelor of Business Administration degree program, International School of Business graduates will be able to demonstrate proficiency in the following learning outcomes:
- Communication – Students will be able to communicate in both the spoken and written word, with clarity and originality while adapting to diverse situations.
- Analytic and Critical Thinking – Students will be able to gather relevant data and information, evaluate ideas, and draw relationships and conclusions across areas of study.
- Creative Insight – Students will be able to integrate knowledge, skills, diverse perspectives, and collaborative processes to produce an expansive holistic approach to problem solving.
- Personal Perspective – Students will be able to articulate and model a personal philosophy that expresses care for self, community, and lifelong learning.
- Global Perspective – Students will be able to exhibit an understanding of and appreciation for diverse cultures and the natural environment, and demonstrate a sense of belonging in an interdependent world.
- All BBA students will demonstrate basic competency in core business subjects including Accounting, Marketing, Management, Business Law, Business Finance, Economics, Business Mathematics and Computing.
- Students will have achieved strong competency in their individual’s Majors.
There are several options for the bachelor of business administration (B.B.A.) degree: a traditional four-year program; a BBA in Marketing and Graphic Design; A second BBA for those who wish to complete a second bachelors in Business while at Finlandia; a 2+2 BBA in Health Care Management for those with an associate degree who are interested in the health care field; and a B.B.A. in Applied Sports Management for students with an associate degree who are interested in the athletics and sports management field. Several minors in Business and other disciplines are also available to students.
Bachelor of Business Administration.
Most ISB students pursue the traditional four-year B.B.A. degree, which requires completion of Finlandia’s General Education requirements, the Business Core (required of all BBA students), 14-16 credits of free electives, and 23-25 credits in one of the following business majors:
- Accounting: Accounting is the language and foundation of every business. The role of accountants in preparing and communicating financial information is crucial to decision-making in domestic and international businesses, governmental agencies, and other organizations. The ISB provides a strong financial accounting foundation and builds upon the foundation by introducing students to managerial accounting, cost accounting, tax accounting, auditing, and accounting information systems.
- International Business: Business today is conducted in a global environment. Therefore, organizations need graduates with an understanding of how to effectively navigate the geographical, cultural, political and legal complexities of doing business internationally. With a focus on small and medium-sized companies, the concentration’s course requirements provide a background that enables the student to assist firms with the business and cultural challenges of an increasingly global marketplace. International Business students will study international marketing, global entrepreneurship, global economics, project management, cross-cultural communication and will select electives that further lead to an understanding of international business.
- Healthcare Management: This concentration is for those who wish to pursue a career on the business side of the attractive healthcare field. Typical careers include healthcare office or clinic management and human resources management. In addition to the General Education core courses required for all Finlandia students and the Business Administration core completed by all BBA students, the Healthcare Management major takes courses tailored especially for healthcare management professionals, such as epidemiology in healthcare, healthcare and ethics, healthcare delivery, healthcare finance, and healthcare information systems. Students also complete a senior capstone course that integrates their business and healthcare knowledge.
- Management and Entrepreneurship: This versatile concentration opens the door to careers as varied as branch managers, service managers, human resource managers, departmental managers, account managers, materials managers, plant managers, quality managers, continuous improvement coordinators, and catalog managers. Professional managers have the opportunity to make a difference in their communities and the world around them.
- Marketing: Fast paced and ever-changing, marketing can offer a rewarding career for students who seek creative fulfillment in their jobs. Marketing graduates are highly sought after for their ability to create marketing communications, to develop a strong social media following, and build customer relations
- Marketing and Graphic Design: This major will enable graduates to work effectively in industry-standard creative teams, moving from logically identifying and assessing consumer needs and desires to the design of effective promotional graphic materials. The program will develop a student who is proficient in marketing and graphic design which emphasizes the benefit of such dual-proficiency in a team.
- Sports Management: The Sports Management B.B.A. concentration applies business principles to the sports industry. A sports management career is extremely competitive, but rewarding, and offers opportunities to work in a fast-paced setting with others who love sports. Students choosing this concentration should have excellent academic credentials, work ethic and a passion for success. An advanced graduate sports management degree is recommended for students pursuing this option.
Second degree Bachelor of Business Administration
This second B.B.A. degree is an option for students currently enrolled in other Finlandia University bachelor degree programs and for those who have completed bachelor degrees in non-business fields, either at Finlandia or another accredited college or university. Typically, requirements can be completed in one to two years.
2+2 Bachelor of Business Administration in Healthcare Management
Tailored for students who have completed an associate degree in medical assistant or another two- or three-year health sciences program, the two-year BBA in Healthcare Management builds a solid business background focused on healthcare management
2+2 Bachelor of Business Administration in Applied Sports Management
The 2+2 in Applied Sports Management is intended for students who have an associates-level Physical Therapist’s Assistant (PTA), Medical Assistant (MA) or related degree and are interested in the athletics and sports management field.
BBA students can also choose to minor in International Business, Healthcare Management, Management, Marketing, Sports Management. and a number of non-business disciplines including Digital Design, Psychology, Philosophy and many others. Minors require the completion of between 18-21 credits.
- 2+2 Bachelor of Business Administration in Applied Sports Management Progress Sheet 2020-21
- 2+2 Bachelor of Business Administration in Healthcare Management Progress Sheet 2020-21
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing and Graphic Design Progress Sheet 2020-21
- Bachelor of Business Administration Progress Sheet 2020-21
- Second Degree Bachelor of Business Administration Progress Sheet 2020-21
International School of Business Staff
Associate Director of AthleticsFinlandia Universitysteve.firstname.lastname@example.org(906) 487-7338