The Suomi College of Arts and Sciences (SCAS) provides academic programs that prepare students through scholarly and creative endeavors to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing world.
At Suomi College, we hone the most crucial interpersonal and industry skills identified by employers: information literacy, critical thinking, written and spoken communication, analytical reasoning, scientific inquiry, and decision-making. We embrace the idea that before students can positively impact the world, they must be rooted and open in understanding that world and themselves. We prepare students to respond to enduring needs in their chosen area(s) of study. In a rapidly changing society, we also prepare students to answer questions that have yet to be asked, solve complex problems that are yet to be identified, and work in fields that may change in ways we cannot yet imagine.
SCAS offers Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degrees in Biology, Criminal Justice, English, History, Liberal Studies, Psychology, and Sociology, and Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees in Biology and Psychology. The college hosts two associate degrees: an Associate in General Studies (A.G.S.) and an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) in Criminal Justice.
Institutional learning outcomes
- Communication – Students will be able to communicate in both the spoken and written word, with clarity and originality while adapting to diverse situations.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking – Students will be able to gather relevant data and information, evaluate ideas, and draw relationships and conclusions across areas of study.
- Creative Insight – Students will be able to integrate knowledge, skills, diverse perspectives, and collaborative processes to produce an expansive holistic approach to problem solving.
- Personal Perspective – Students will be able to articulate and model a personal philosophy that expresses care for self, community, and lifelong learning.
- Global Perspective – Students will be able to exhibit an understanding of and appreciation for diverse cultures and the natural environment, and demonstrate a sense of belonging in an interdependent world.
Suomi college of arts & sciences News
News and Notes from Finlandia's College of Arts & Sciences
- November 18
Finlandia Fridays: 2023 Scholarship Packages
In last week’s episode of Finlandia Fridays, Dean of Enrollment Anthony Schwass joined the show to discuss FinnU’s all-new Scholarship Calculator. In part two of this featured series, Schwass dives deep into the new scholarship packages offered at Finlandia and what they will provide incoming students.
“It is simply streamlined now. No longer are scholarships not stackable with each other, if you qualify for a scholarship, you get it, along with all of your other scholarships. Plain and simple,” Schwass [...]
- November 14
Finlandia releases Scholarship Calculator
The Scholarship Calculator at Finlandia University is a fast and easy-to-use tool for any degree-seeking student looking to attend FinnU. In less than a minute, the calculator provides students with the minimum scholarship amount they’ll receive from Finlandia University.
In a recent feature with Finlandia’s Dean of Enrollment, Anthony Schwass shared that the scholarship calculator is for anyone. No paperwork, no FAFSA information; all you need to know is your cumulative GPA and where you’re coming from. [...]
- November 11
Finlandia Fridays: The Scholarship Calculator
Understanding the cost of a college education should be easy. So, here to introduce Finlandia’s all-new Scholarship Calculator is Dean of Enrollment Anthony Schwass.
New to Fall 2022, Finlandia’s Scholarship Calculator provides students with their anticipated scholarship offerings. Schwass explains that in less than a minute, the calculator provides students with their base scholarship amount, and that’s before stacking any Scholarship Add-Ons. All this comes before Federal and State Aid, which you can qualify for after filing your FAFSA [...]