International School of Art & Design
Finlandia University’s International School of Art and Design (ISAD) balances experiences in critical thinking and creative insight with a strong foundation in liberal studies. We emphasize the convergence of technical skill and conceptual innovation.
The program prepares graduates for emerging opportunities in both professional practice and graduate studies, by providing foundations in entrepreneurship, sustainability, and business practices in art and design.
LEARNING OUTCOMES – ISAD
- Communication: Communicate of the Elements & Principles of Design within selected medium.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking/Creative Insight: Integrate knowledge of basic business practices as they relate to entrepreneurial ventures, exhibition opportunities, and professional presentation & portfolio development.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking/Global Perspective: Resource the relevance of history, theory, and criticism, using perspectives and scholarship drawn from the students’ major field and at least one other field.
- Personal Perspective/Global Perspective: Measure decisions involving social, environmental, and ethical issues concerning the production and consumption of Art & Design.
- Creative Insight: Assess the possibilities and limitations of materials and processes, including the potential and current uses of existing and developing materials, technologies, and production methods.
- Personal Perspective: Support an attitude of curiosity, determination, and reflection that will persist beyond graduation.
Below is information provided by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Employment of arts and design occupations is projected to grow 4 percent from 2016 to 2026, slower than the average for all occupations, adding about 33,700 new jobs. More workers will be needed to meet the growing demand for animation and visual effects in video games, movies, television, and on smartphones, as well as to help create visually appealing and effective layouts of websites and other media platforms. Other arts and design workers are employed in industries that are projected to decline, however, including publishing, manufacturing, and floral shops.
The median annual wage for arts and design occupations was $45,250 in May 2017, which was higher than the median annual wage for all occupations of $37,690.
Learn more about the career out look for art and design occupations at bls.gov.
International School of art and design News
News and Notes from Finlandia's Art and Design school
- May 11
Relive Graduation Day 2023 at Finlandia University | Photo Gallery & Livestreams
Finlandia University held its final Spring Commencement Ceremony on Sunday, May 7, honoring 92 graduates in the Class of 2023. Following commencement, a commendation service was held for Finlandia University students, staff, faculty, alumni, neighbors and friends, commending the University and its 126 years of service.Full High-Res Photos from Spring 2023 Commencement:
Founded in 1896 as Suomi College, Finlandia University held its final spring commencement ceremony on Sunday, May 7, honoring 92 graduates in the Class of 2023. In March, the University announced the decision to dissolve the institution and not enroll students for the 2023-2024 academic year.
Delivering the welcome address was Board Trustee Stephen Nikander, whose great-grandfather founded the institution and whose grandfather served [...]
- May 3
Where to livestream Spring 2023 Commencement
On Sunday, May 7, Finlandia University held its Spring 2023 Commencement Ceremony at 1:30 p.m. in Hirvonen Hall Auditorium. Whether rewatching from home, or on the go, here’s everything you need to know.Web: Livestream at finlandia.edu
In case you missed it, an on-demand version is available below!
?Connected TV & Tablet: Livestream on YouTube
For those watching from home, find the comfort of viewing commencement directly from your connected TV or tablet by visiting Finlandia University’s YouTube Channel. Simply go to your [...]