Finlandia University’s International School of Art and Design (ISAD) balances experiences in critical thinking and creative insight with a strong foundation in liberal studies. We emphasize the convergence of technical skill and conceptual innovation.
The program prepares graduates for emerging opportunities in both professional practice and graduate studies, by providing foundations in entrepreneurship, sustainability, and business practices in art and design.
LEARNING OUTCOMES – ISAD
- Communication: Communicate of the Elements & Principles of Design within selected medium.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking/Creative Insight: Integrate knowledge of basic business practices as they relate to entrepreneurial ventures, exhibition opportunities, and professional presentation & portfolio development.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking/Global Perspective: Resource the relevance of history, theory, and criticism, using perspectives and scholarship drawn from the students’ major field and at least one other field.
- Personal Perspective/Global Perspective: Measure decisions involving social, environmental, and ethical issues concerning the production and consumption of Art & Design.
- Creative Insight: Assess the possibilities and limitations of materials and processes, including the potential and current uses of existing and developing materials, technologies, and production methods.
- Personal Perspective: Support an attitude of curiosity, determination, and reflection that will persist beyond graduation.
Below is information provided by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Employment of arts and design occupations is projected to grow 4 percent from 2016 to 2026, slower than the average for all occupations, adding about 33,700 new jobs. More workers will be needed to meet the growing demand for animation and visual effects in video games, movies, television, and on smartphones, as well as to help create visually appealing and effective layouts of websites and other media platforms. Other arts and design workers are employed in industries that are projected to decline, however, including publishing, manufacturing, and floral shops.
The median annual wage for arts and design occupations was $45,250 in May 2017, which was higher than the median annual wage for all occupations of $37,690.
Learn more about the career out look for art and design occupations at bls.gov.
International School of art and design News
News and Notes from Finlandia's Art and Design school
- April 27
International School of Art & Design 2021 Bachelor of Fine Arts Diploma Works Exhibition
Finlandia University’s International School of Art & Design (ISAD) 2021 Bachelor of Fine Arts Diploma Works Exhibition is featured from April 28 to July 22, 2021, at the Finlandia University Gallery. The Finlandia University Gallery is located in the Finnish American Heritage Center in Hancock.
A reception for the artists and their families will take place at the gallery Saturday, May 1st, from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. The exhibit is open to the public by appointment. Please email [...]
- March 30
Student Spotlight: Valerie Helminen, Graphic Design
Sophomore Valerie Helminen, a graphic design major from Calumet, Mich. couldn’t seem to find the right fit when it came to colleges. Having previously attended Michigan Tech and four other schools, Helminen was looking for her next move. While attending Utica College in New York pondering what her next plan was, it seemed she had found it when her dad mentioned that Finlandia was looking for goalies.
“I was in New York playing hockey when my dad had heard Finlandia [...]
- March 29
Virtual ISAD Student Juried Exhibit and Fashion Show happening April 1
A Zoom reception for the artists will take place on Thursday, April 1, from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. A video of the student and alumni fashion show will be presented during the zoom reception, followed by a presentation of awards for artistic excellence.
The exhibition includes works [...]