Finlandia University’s International School of Art and Design (ISAD) balances experiences in critical thinking and creative insight with a strong foundation in liberal studies. We emphasize the convergence of technical skill and conceptual innovation.
The program prepares graduates for emerging opportunities in both professional practice and graduate studies, by providing foundations in entrepreneurship, sustainability, and business practices in art and design.
LEARNING OUTCOMES – ISAD
- Communication: Communicate of the Elements & Principles of Design within selected medium.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking/Creative Insight: Integrate knowledge of basic business practices as they relate to entrepreneurial ventures, exhibition opportunities, and professional presentation & portfolio development.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking/Global Perspective: Resource the relevance of history, theory, and criticism, using perspectives and scholarship drawn from the students’ major field and at least one other field.
- Personal Perspective/Global Perspective: Measure decisions involving social, environmental, and ethical issues concerning the production and consumption of Art & Design.
- Creative Insight: Assess the possibilities and limitations of materials and processes, including the potential and current uses of existing and developing materials, technologies, and production methods.
- Personal Perspective: Support an attitude of curiosity, determination, and reflection that will persist beyond graduation.
Below is information provided by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Employment of arts and design occupations is projected to grow 4 percent from 2016 to 2026, slower than the average for all occupations, adding about 33,700 new jobs. More workers will be needed to meet the growing demand for animation and visual effects in video games, movies, television, and on smartphones, as well as to help create visually appealing and effective layouts of websites and other media platforms. Other arts and design workers are employed in industries that are projected to decline, however, including publishing, manufacturing, and floral shops.
The median annual wage for arts and design occupations was $45,250 in May 2017, which was higher than the median annual wage for all occupations of $37,690.
Learn more about the career out look for art and design occupations at bls.gov.
International School of art and design News
News and Notes from Finlandia's Art and Design school
- September 4
Taste of Success Kicks Off New Year with Samantha Schutz (’07)
Alumna Samantha Schutz (’07) is set to present on the topic of the value of mentors at the next A Taste of Success on Tuesday, Sept. 10 in Mannerheim Central from 12 to 1 p.m.
Originally from Ewen, MI, Schutz graduated with a BFA in Graphic Design and currently works at OHM Advisors in Hancock as the Business Development Manager. She will be speaking on the value of mentors and how they have shaped her career.
The event is open to all [...]
- August 27
Art & Design Alumni, Robert & Stephanie Lake (’07), Provide Unique Freelancing Opportunity for Students
For Robert Lake (BFA, ’07), design has always been an important part of his life.
“I grew up liking art and drawing, and when I got to high school, I was unsure of what direction to go,” said Lake. “I began looking into Finlandia’s Industrial and Product Design program and decided to come here because I liked to draw vehicles.”
For Lake, the small class sizes and opportunities to work on projects enhanced his learning experience.
“I was [...]
- June 21
Fiber & Fashion Design Major Designs Her Own Wedding Dress
Most little girls dream of what their wedding dress will look like someday. Jessica Shields a senior Fiber & Fashion Design major couldn’t shake the idea of what her wedding dress would look like after getting engaged. So, she took matters into her own hands.
“I had been to a wedding for a family member and fallen in love with the bride’s dress, but after looking at a few online shops I knew I could never afford the dress of [...]