Finlandia University’s International School of Art and Design (ISAD) balances experiences in critical thinking and creative insight with a strong foundation in liberal studies. We emphasize the convergence of technical skill and conceptual innovation.
The program prepares graduates for emerging opportunities in both professional practice and graduate studies, by providing foundations in entrepreneurship, sustainability, and business practices in art and design.
LEARNING OUTCOMES – ISAD
- Communication: Communicate of the Elements & Principles of Design within selected medium.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking/Creative Insight: Integrate knowledge of basic business practices as they relate to entrepreneurial ventures, exhibition opportunities, and professional presentation & portfolio development.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking/Global Perspective: Resource the relevance of history, theory, and criticism, using perspectives and scholarship drawn from the students’ major field and at least one other field.
- Personal Perspective/Global Perspective: Measure decisions involving social, environmental, and ethical issues concerning the production and consumption of Art & Design.
- Creative Insight: Assess the possibilities and limitations of materials and processes, including the potential and current uses of existing and developing materials, technologies, and production methods.
- Personal Perspective: Support an attitude of curiosity, determination, and reflection that will persist beyond graduation.
Below is information provided by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Employment of arts and design occupations is projected to grow 4 percent from 2016 to 2026, slower than the average for all occupations, adding about 33,700 new jobs. More workers will be needed to meet the growing demand for animation and visual effects in video games, movies, television, and on smartphones, as well as to help create visually appealing and effective layouts of websites and other media platforms. Other arts and design workers are employed in industries that are projected to decline, however, including publishing, manufacturing, and floral shops.
The median annual wage for arts and design occupations was $45,250 in May 2017, which was higher than the median annual wage for all occupations of $37,690.
Learn more about the career out look for art and design occupations at bls.gov.
International School of art and design News
News and Notes from Finlandia's Art and Design school
- October 21
ISAD program undergoing changes for Fall 2021
Finlandia’s International School of Art & Design (ISAD) will be undergoing program changes beginning in the Fall 2021.
Beginning fall 2021, FinnU will no longer accept new students into the Fiber & Fashion, Intermedia, and Ceramic Design bachelor degree programs. These programs are not completely closed, but enrollment interest over the years has waned and ISAD Dean Denise Vandeville says the programs will be suspended until enrollment interest grows and the school can sustain its re-emergence. The programs will [...]
- October 19
ISAD 2020 BFA Diploma Works Virtual Reception Set for Oct. 22
Finlandia University’s International School of Art & Design (ISAD) will hold a Zoom celebration in honor of our 2020 Bachelor of Fine Arts Diploma Works graduates. Annah Smiddy (Graphic Design), Chelsea LaPalme (Art Therapy), Denia Bent (Graphic Design), Mindy Aho (Intermedia) and Shannon Chouinard (Graphic Design) faced many challenges as they completed their culminating artwork for graduation during the global pandemic. Rising to the unique challenges of this time, the seniors uprooted their studios, [...]
- September 3
Calumet grad, Lia Tervo, named 2020 Brule Scholarship recipient
Calumet graduate, Lia Tervo has been selected as the 2020 Brule Scholarship recipient by Finlandia University’s International School of Art & Design. The Brule Scholarship, funded by Dave and Elsa Brule, is a $20,000 competitive art scholarship for new students. Tervo plans to major in Graphic Design, which she hopes will lead to a flexible work-from-home career that will allow her to travel.
“My biggest goal in life is to travel the world someday so if I have a [...]