Personal Counseling

Counseling is free for any TRiO/SSS program participants who request an appointment.

Hopefully, your time at FinnU will be happy and trouble free. However, everyone at some time in their lives can experience challenges.

Counseling is:

  • Not a “quick fix” for your problems. Change is not always simple and may take time and energy for it to occur.
  • Not a sign of weakness. There is nothing weak about a person who seeks counseling. Individuals who enter counseling are taking the 1st step to resolving their difficulties.

Some common counseling concerns:

  • Adjusting to college life
  • Anxiety/stress
  • Self-confidence
  • Relationship difficulties
  • Self-defeating behaviors
  • Academic problems
  • Sexual identity/orientation issues
  • Decision-making dilemmas
  • Mild depression
  • Loss and grief

Some things you can expect from counseling are:

  • You can talk about whatever is concerning you at the time.
  • Counseling involves the concerns and problems of normal students.
  • Sometimes you may experience painful feelings before you start feeling better.
  • The Personal Counselor can help you examine your concerns and help you learn new skills or ways of looking at situations so you can be more capable of solving problems on your own.
  • Successful counseling is a joint process requiring your motivation and active involvement.The more actively involved you are the more effective counseling will be for you.
  • Most students receiving individual counseling meet with the Personal Counselor from one to eight sessions. If a student’s situation requires long term counseling, referrals will be provided for off-campus counseling.
  • All counseling is confidential. No information is released to anyone without written consent.

There is no issue that is “too small” to discuss. If something is big enough to bother you, it’s big enough to talk about.


Access Psychological

118 N. Main Street
L’Anse, MI 49946

Contact: S. George Field, Cheryl Field or Tonya Truesdale

FEES: accepts UPHP Medicaid and MI Child. Health Plan members may call their Health Plan at 1-800-835-2556 to inquire about providers. Provides services for children.



Barbara Kettle Gundlach Shelter Home

P0 Box 8

Calumet, MI 49913

24 Hour Crisis Line: (906) 337-5623

Toll Free in the UP.: 1-888-337-5623


Temporary shelter for victims and their children in abusive relationships

Individual counseling and support groups for residents and non-residents

Information and referral to appropriate agencies

FEES: All services are free and confidential



Copper Country Community Mental Health Services

Main Office:

Rice Memorial Center

901 West Memorial Drive

Houghton, MI 49931

(906) 482-9400


Rice Memorial Center – CLK Branch Office

1125 Calumet Avenue

Calumet, MI 49913

(906) 337-5810


FEES: based on ability to pay


To access routine Mental Health Services in the Upper Peninsula contact the NorthCare Network


200 W Spring Street, Suite 2, Marquette, MI 49855

NorthCare Access 1-888-906-9060


FOR SUBSTANCE ABUSE contact NorthCare Central Diagnostic and Referral agency at: 1-800-305-6564


Dial Help

609 Sheldon Avenue

Houghton, MI 49930

Helpline:  (906) 482-HELP (4357) – available seven days a week from 9am to 2am.

UP Toll Free Helpline:  (800) 562-7622

24/7 Victim Services:  (866) 611-5589


FEES: Accepts UPHP Medicaid and MI Child. Health Plan members may call their Health Plan at 1-800-835-2556 to inquire about providers.

Free confidential counseling and advocacy to victims of crime or abuse.

No sliding scale (fee based) for general individual, couples and group counseling for

personal and mental health issues.


North Coast Counseling Services, LLC

300 Dunstan Street

Hancock, MI  49930

Contact: Tim Payment, MS, LPC, NCC, ICAADC

(906) 523-5580


FEES: accepts UPHP Medicaid and MI Child. Health Plan members may call their Health Plan at 1-800-835-2556 to inquire about providers. Provides services for children.


VA Clinic – Hancock

787 Market Street, Suite 9

Hancock, MI 49930

(906) 482-7762







Copper Island Behavioral Health

801 Quincy Street

Hancock, MI 49930

(906) 482-9440

Contact: Tom Collins, LMSW, LPC, CAAC


FEES: insurances accepted and sliding scale, accepts UPHP Medicaid and MI Child. Health Plan members may call their Health Plan at 1-800-835-2556 to inquire about providers. Provides services for children.


Indigo Creek Counseling

Jutila Center for Global Design and Business

Suite 606

Hancock MI 49930

(906) 281-4852

Contact: Kim Menzel, LMSW, ACSW


FEES: accepts UPHP Medicaid and MI Child. Health Plan members may call their Health Plan at 1-800-835-2556 to inquire about providers. Provides services for children. Insurances accepted.


Alcohol, Substance Abuse Services and Support


Copper Country Support Groups Helpful website gives times and locations of various support groups, as well as other alcohol/drug abuse information and treatment. coppercountry.com/SupportGroups.php

Great Lakes Recovery Services/Substance Abuse

920 Water Street, Suite 6

Hancock, MI 49930

(906) 482-7710

Fax: 906-228- 0505

To schedule an appointment you must go through the Call Center: 906-228-9696

FEES: accepts UPHP Medicaid, BlueCross and other insurance


Phoenix House (906) 337-0763 Provides residential and outpatient services www.phoenixhouse.com

Smart Recovery (906) 337-2310 Free self-help program for recovery from addictive behavior. This is not a 12-Step Recovery program, it is based on cognitive behavioral methods. www.smartrecovery.com




Bridges for Kids



Keweenaw Family Resource Center

Programs that focus on families with children from birth to four years



Legal Services of Northern Michigan

Full range of legal service in most areas of civil law for people who meet federal poverty guidelines or who are 60 years of age or older



Michigan Veterans’ Services




Emergency Veteran Trust Fund

MVTF Main Office: P.O. Box 30104 Lansing, MI  48909 517-284-5299
The Michigan Veterans Trust Fund (MVTF) is a program used when an unforeseen situation has caused a temporary financial emergency or hardship that a grant, if approved, would resolve and the applicant can show that they will be able to meet future expenses.

Michigan Veteran Resource Edirectory




UPCAP (Upper Peninsula Commission for Area Progress)

***Local human services information and 211 call center***



Western Upper Peninsula Health Department

Environmental health, reproductive health, disease prevention, pregnant women and children services, WIC, immunizations and health and wellness








All of the following are unofficial links to other web pages on the internet.  The TRiO program and Finlandia University are not responsible for their content. 


www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/tobacco/smoking for smoking cessation information and related topics, and Quit Smoking Community, which has lots of info on smoking and its effects


www.dbsalliance.org  provides help, hope, and support to improve the lives of people with depression or bipolar illness.


www.eatright.org  provides helpful information about food and nutrition.


www.nationaleatingdisorders.org  provides up-to-date information about eating disorders and treatments.  Also, it gives support to individuals and families affected by eating disorders.


www.nih.gov provides information on men, women’s, and children’s health issues.


www.smartersex.org  provides information on healthy sexual habits and how to make good decisions about sexual health.



www.womenshealth.gov  provides information on issues ranging from adolescent health to reproductive health to healthy aging.


www.rainn.org  Rape Abuse and Incest National network provides support for sexual assault victims and their loved ones through two hotlines at 1-800-656- HOPE and online at www.rainn.org



www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org  The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255) is a 24 hour, toll-free, confidential suicide prevention hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis, or emotional distress.  By dialing 1-800-273-TALK, the call is routed to the nearest crisis center.


TRIO Student Support Services

FinnU will not enroll students for 2023-2024Learn More