Students participating in Finlandia University’s fourth annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service are invited to sign up for their service site now.
Dr. King was a vibrant and dynamic leader for nonviolent activism in the Civil Rights Movement. Finlandia University and the local community have combined efforts to renew discussions about equality and diversity awareness as well as provide service to our local community. In recognition and celebration of this holiday, all regular classes are cancelled so that students and faculty have the opportunity to get out and provide community service.
Sites range from Calumet to Houghton and include activities aimed at helping people of all ages – from toddlers to senior citizens. Volunteer sites include St. Vincent de Paul, South Range Elementary School in Hancock, The Lighthouse at Hancock, New Power Tour Inc. and more!
Students will also have the opportunity to attend a worship service on Sunday and a featured film on Thursday of that week.
As service sites fill updates will be listed below.
- 9:00 – 10:00am Barkell Elementary FULL
- 9:00 -11:00am Houghton Elementary FULL
- 12:30 – 2:30pm Houghton Elementary FULL
- 2:00 – 3:30pm Little Huskies FULL
- 8:15 – 10:45am South Range Elementary FULL
- 10:00am – 12:00pm NUR Administration FULL
- 12:30 – 2:00pm Salvation Army FULL
- 12:30 – 3:30pm Little Brothers Friends of the Elderly Woodfire Program FULL
- 1:00 – 2:00pm EB Holman FULL
- 11:00am – 1:00pm The Lighthouse at Hancock FULL
- 12:00 – 3:00pm St. Vincent’s FULL
- 3:15 – 4:30pm Brownie/Daisy Troop FULL
- 11:30am – 2:30pm South Range Elementary FULL
- 12:30 – 2:30pm Barbara Kettle Gundlach FULL
- 12:00 – 3:00pm The Table Food Shelf FULL
- 12:00 – 3:00pm Dialhelp FULL
- 2:00 – 4:00pm The Bluffs FULL
- 1:00 -4:00pm New Power Tour Inc. FULL
- 12:30 – 3:00 ReStore Copper Country Habitat for Humanity FULL