Finlandia University is committed to being a safe place for the identities that span sex, gender and sexual orientation continuums. This site is a great place to start exploring the people and places that will support your identity at Finlandia.
All Gender Bathrooms at Finlandia
- Nikander Third Floor between N30 and the parking lot exit
- Nikander Second Floor between Nikander 25 and the stairway
- Finlandia Hall Main Floor between lounge and lobby
All gender bathroom signs donated by mydoorsign.com.
Campus and Community Resources
- Preferred Name Policy Request Form
- Keweenaw Pride — The gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer and straight allied organization of Michigan Technological University and the Keweenaw community.
- Keweenaw PFLAG — (Website, Facebook Page) — The mission of Keweenaw PFLAG is to provide opportunities for dialogue about sexual orientation and gender identity and to act to create a society that is healthy and respectful of human diversity.
- NorthStar Employee Assistance Program
- TRiO Counseling
- Campus Ministry
- Title IX Office
- Dial Help — based on the Keweenaw, 906-482-4357
- The Trevor Project — 866-488-7386 (call) or text “trevor” to 1-202-304-1200 between 4pm and 8pm ET or chat online
- Trans Lifeline — 877-565-8860
- Upper Peninsula Rainbow Pride — Marquette LGBT pride festival
- ACLU of Michigan — Defending the Bill of Rights
- Michigan Pride — Provides education, outreach, support and events for LGBT people
- Michigan Project for Informed Public Policy — Science-based advocacy
- Michigan Roundtable for Diversity and Inclusion — Working to overcome discrimination and racism
- Transgender Michigan — Transgender support and advocacy, 517-420-1544
- Unity Michigan — LGBT coalition working to advance nondiscrimination policies in Michigan
- Human Rights Campaign — Largest national lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer civil rights organization
- Intersex Society of North America — Devoted to systemic change to end shame, secrecy, and unwanted genital surgeries for people born with an anatomy that someone decided is not standard for male or female
LGBTQIA Welcoming Churches
- Finlandia University Campus Ministry — Chapel of St. Mathew, 906-487-7239
- Trinity Episcopal Church — 205 East Montezuma Avenue; Houghton, MI 49931, 906-482-2010
- Good Shepherd Lutheran Church — 1100 College Avenue; Houghton, MI 49931, 906-482-5410
- Keweenaw Unitarian Universalist Fellowship — 700 Park Avenue; Houghton, MI 49931, 906-482-2381
- Gloria Dei Lutheran Church ELCA — 1000 W. Quincy Street; Hancock, MI 49930, 906-482-2381
- Copper Country Christian Fellowship — 301 6th Street; Calumet, MI 49913, 906-337-3864
- St. Paul the Apostle Church — 301 8th Street; Calumet, MI 49913, 906-337-2044
- Portage Lake United Church — 1400 E. Houghton Avenue; Houghton, MI 49931, 906-482-5224
Suggested Readings for those coming out
- Coming out of Shame: Transforming Gay and Lesbian Lives (1996). Kaufman, G. & Raphael, L., New York: Doubleday.
- Mom, dad, I’m gay: How families negotiate coming out (2001). Savin-Williams, Ritch C., Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Coming out to parents: A two-way guide for lesbians and gay men and their parents (1993). Borhek, Mary V., New York: Pilgrim Press.
- Coming out: An act of love (1991). Eichberg, Rob, New York: Penguin.
LGBTQIA* Scholarship Opportunities
This scholarship fund supports students who are seeking a baccalaureate, master’s or doctoral degree in nursing. Special consideration will be given to students in a graduate program with the goal of becoming a nurse educator; students completing an RN-to-BSN or RN-to-MSN program; and those enrolled in an accelerated program. Please note that all applicants must already be enrolled (not just accepted) at an AACN member institution.
One scholarship in the amount of $2,500 will be awarded each quarter.
This scholarship provides financial support for students pursuing a college degree who actively advocate for LGBT youth and/or to students who are severely affected by teen bullying or suicide of an LGBT youth. Through this scholarship, LGBT affected youth can apply for funding to pay for educational expenses to pursue a degree from an accredited college, university, or technical/vocational program. For this college year, LIKE ME® will award up to five scholarships for $1,250 each.
This scholarship program provides support to gay men who want to further their education at a college, university, or vocational or professional training program. In addition, effective 2016, the Gamma Mu Scholarship Program will award one scholarship annually (“The Folisi & Goodwin Scholarship in Memory of Ray Williams”) to a student from the broader LGBT community. These programs support a wide range of educational options, including vocational and technical training, associate, bachelors and graduate degrees. Scholarships are offered for full-time study beginning at an accredited institution or program of the student’s choice. Interested students must complete and submit the online application by March 31.
This foundation provides financial resources for America’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender or Queer high school seniors entering their first year of institutions of higher learning. The scholarship application opens annually in January and closes in April with awards distributed in the summer of each year.
This youth scholarship has been established for the purpose of awarding an annual scholarship to a southwest Michigan LGBTA graduating senior who plans to attend college in the state of Michigan in the fall following their graduation.
- Preferred Name Policy – Request Form
- Housing Policy
- Athletics Policies
Safe Place Allies at Finlandia
These people are available to help you at anytime.