Opening Convocation begins Sunday at 4 p.m.August 24, 2017
It was the year 1897 when Suomi College and Theological Seminary welcomed its inaugural class of students. This coming Monday, August 28, therefore, marks the start of Finlandia’s 120th academic year. On Sunday we will celebrate our 120th with a gathering, a Finlandia-esque convocation.
Sunday, August 27th, at 4 p.m. students, faculty, staff and local alumni will gather in front of Finlandia Hall. The group will come together as a learning community to celebrate the Finlandia experience and look ahead to a new year of teaching and learning. The time together will include a community procession up to the Paavo Nurmi gymnasium, a convocation program, and a return to the dining hall for an all-campus dinner.
Finlandia’s convocation invites all of us to again embrace and embody our shared calling here at Finlandia: to be more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life.
Events will begin at 4 p.m.
- Gather front of Finlandia Hall and walk together to Paavo
- Live Music as everyone walks in together
- Welcome address from Finlandia leadership
- Introduce & Sing the Fight Song “Finlandia Pride”
- Deans intro schools, including new faculty
- Athletic director acknowledges coaching staff and team
- Introduction to Student Leaders
- Introduce & Sing Alma Mater Song “Finlandia, Finlandia” / Benediction
- End and walk down to Finlandia Hall for a campus-wide meal
Tags: Opening Convocation