Four ways the Chapel & Pastor Sarah are here to support youOctober 7, 2022
Led by Campus Pastor Sarah Semmler Smith, Campus Ministry seeks to support students’ spiritual growth wherever they are on their journey. Whether you are Lutheran by background, new to Christianity, or exploring other religious traditions, Finlandia seeks to meet you there.
In this week’s episode of Finlandia Fridays, Semmler Smith shares four ways that Campus Ministry is here to support FinnU students. Campus Ministry is an open and affirming ministry of Finlandia University. In other words, you are welcome here.
- Community Meals (every Monday 7:15 – 8 p.m.) Always homemade, always free. Served out of the Chapel lower level. Want to Volunteer? Sign up to help prep the meal at the link below (or just show up at 6 pm any given week). https://www.signupgenius.com/go/904094baca92aa5fb6-finnu
- The Table (Mon – Fri, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.) Finlandia’s Student Needs Pantry provides free basics to any and all Finlandia students. From laundry detergent to winter weather gear, frozen pizza to fresh fruit—it’s here for you, and it’s all free. Just sign in and take what you need, when you need it. Located in the lower level of the Chapel.
- Midday Mindfulness (Tuesdays, 12:10 – 12:30 p.m.) Move from scattered to centered with mindfulness practices geared to add focus, balance and peace to your week. In person at the Chapel and also on Instagram Live @FinnU_Faithlife.
- Supporting your Spiritual Journey – Looking for a place to worship, to volunteer, or a Friday Prayer meeting, a Bible study, or interfaith group? I might be able to point you in the right direction. Take a moment to let me know what you’re searching for: https://forms.gle/evECbLLXXgfGak5F7 and I will follow up with info targeted just to you.
Whether it’s your first semester at Finlandia or your last, the start of classes hits like a wave. Semmler Smith also shares that in the midst of it all, her office on campus is one of confidence for any and all students that need a listening ear.
“I try to make myself available and known around campus so that students know who I am and I know who they are,” Semmler Smith said, later adding, “When and if they find themselves in a need for mental health, I can either be the person that can provide some pastoral counseling or I try to be a path of referral to either someone on campus or in our community.”
For anyone interested, Semmler Smith also shares how to support FinnU students through Campus Ministry programming.
“If you ever want to support Finlandia students, donating to our feeding ministry with time or resources, [I] absolutely would invite you. You know, getting through college is hard and any bit we can help and share love with these college students, especially many of them who are far, far from home, like what an expression of being a neighbor in our community.”
Follow Campus Ministry!
@FinnU_Failife (Instagram) — follow for chapel updates, spiritual opportunities around town, and video shorts meant to lift your spirit and find meaning in your week.
RELATED ARTICLES & LINKS
Pastor Sarah Semmler Smith
Have story suggestions or even would like to be on the show yourself? We’d love to have you!
Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FINLANDIA PODCAST NETWORK
Thanks for checking out Finlandia Fridays! Finlandia Fridays is a weekly interview series talking about a wide range of Finlandia University topics. The show is hosted by FinnU’s Marketing & Communications Department. You can check out an archive at finlandia.edu/fridays. We also invite you to subscribe to the Finlandia Podcast Network wherever you get podcasts.
- Finlandia Fridays Archives
- This Week in Finlandia Athletics (weekly podcast talking Finlandia Lions athletics)
- Finlandia Podcast Network on Apple Podcasts
- Finlandia Podcast Network on Google Play
- Finlandia Podcast Network on SoundCloud
- Finlandia Podcast Network on TuneIn