Rutkowski accepts Academic Career Coach position at FinlandiaMarch 16, 2018
Finlandia University has welcomed Marquette-native Sophie Rutkowski to the position of Academic/Career Coach in the TRIO Student Support Services office. Rutkowski has a Master’s Degree in Psychosocial Aspects of Sport and Physical Activity and a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, both earned with nearly a perfect grade point average from Michigan State University.
“I love to help people succeed when they might think they cannot,” Rutkowski said. “At times I struggled at Michigan State, and I know if I could make it through those times, the students we’re working with at Finlandia can achieve success too. My goal is to help them utilize the amazing resources available to them and help them be their best.”
The new hire is an exciting one for the entire TRIO Student Support Services department.
“Sophie’s positive attitude, energy and experience in delivering services to enable students to meet academic goals is a great asset to our team and the university,” said Cindy Cowell, Director of TRIO Student Support Services. Cowell specifically said her experience at MSU as a graduate teaching assistant in the Department of Kinesiology and serving as a Tutorial Coordinator in the Department of Student-Athlete Support Services gives Rutkowski a solid background and knowledge for the work that she is doing at Finlandia.
Rutkowski is a graduate of Marquette Senior High School. After spending six years in East Lansing, and more than two years working for Nielsen in downtown Chicago, she was ready to call the Upper Peninsula of Michigan home again.
“Everybody here is willing to help each other, and be friendly,” she said. “People care about each other, and I love that about the place I now get to call home again.”
Sophie Rutkowski as Academic Career Coach at Finlandia University
Rutkowski’s office is located in Nikander 11, next to the Tutoring and Learning Center. Rutkowski’s responsibilities include supporting students academically and in their career search. In the career realm, Rutkowski will also assist students in exploring internships. Some of the services that Rutkowski provides are:
- Meet with new program participants early in their first semester to administer a needs survey and write student’s graduation and career plan including SMART goals for the academic year.
- Schedule program services, including academic coaching (tutoring), for each student according to their graduation and career plan. Continue to monitor students’ engagement in program services.
- Develop and coordinate a wide array of career and job search resources for all student participants. Provide general career information to all program participants, while helping to clarify personal values and goal setting. Lead career exploration workshops.
- Develop relationships with regional business leaders, non-profit organizations and public agencies, develop opportunities for student job shadowing and internships, recruit business leaders to speak to students at workshops.
- Lead and assist in planning, implementation and/or travel to student events. Travel to attend professional conferences and training.
Learn more about TRIO Student Support Services on the TRIO page on Finlandia’s website. Sophie Rutkowski can be contacted via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.Tags: New Hires, Sophie Rutkowski