It’s graduation season for high school seniors, and with that comes the tough task of making many decisions related to college. We’re here to help you make one that you won’t regret. Join us at Finlandia University this summer for the Summer Bridge Program.
Why enroll in the Summer Bridge Program? Glad you asked. Here are three great reasons.
Most freshmen will be starting this August with zero college credits, no experience taking courses in a collegiate atmosphere, and without close relationships with students, staff and faculty already in place. Those who enroll in the Summer Bridge Program will be looking at the exact opposite situation:
- Three college-level courses completed
- Friendships with other like-minded, eager-to-get-started freshmen
- Established relationships with key FinnU faculty and staff
- Six college credits as a feather in their cap
This will also make it easier for you to graduate in four years. This may not sound like too difficult of a task as most of our programs are four years in length, but life gets busy when you have clinical rotations to complete, NCAA Division III athletics to compete in, and internships to dive into and experience. Plus, you know you want to study abroad during your time at Finlandia! Getting ahead now could mean a lot near the end of your academic career here at FinnU.
Enjoy Lake Superior
Life on Mother Superior isn’t always easy, but in July and August, it might feel like it. You’ll have plenty of three-day weekends and sunshine-filled nights to enjoy the world’s largest lake. The sunsets, nights spent chasing a breathtaking view of the northern lights, road trips to the tip if the Keweenaw and bonfires on the big lake’s shore will quickly become some of your favorite memories about life as a Yooper.
Over the next month, we’ll be finalizing and announcing activities that will take place throughout the Summer Bridge Program. These opportunities will serve as a guided opening to you as you prepare for your four years of education on the shores of Lake Superior.
No one ever said you were going to become more financially well off during your years of college, but that’s not to stop you from doing your best to make the college experience as affordable as possible. The Summer Bridge Program does exactly that for three key reasons.
- The price is offered at a great discount. You’ll be staying in Finlandia Hall, taking six credits and enjoying the delicious food of Finlandia Dining Services all for about 30 percent less than you’d pay otherwise.
- Upgrade your merit-based scholarship. If you’re coming in with a high school grade point average of under 2.5, you could drastically improve your financial aid package by performing well over the summer.
- Federal funding is available from 2016-17 without affecting next year’s funding. You’ll need to complete the FAFSA and work with our Financial Aid Office, but for many students, there will be money available from the government to cover a huge percentage of the Summer Bridge Program expenses.
Between Finlandia Four, Finlandia Future and the many great scholarships we have to offer, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a more affordable four-year higher education experience.
More to love during Summer Bridge Program
TRIO On Hand
The folks at TRIO Student Support Services and from Finlandia’s Tutoring and Academic Advising are amazing, and we’re beyond excited to introduce you to them. During the summer, you will have a chance to work in the Tutoring and Learning Center and work with several staff members, including the program’s director Cindy Cowell.
The experience of college wouldn’t be same without dorm life, and during the Summer Bridge Program you’ll get your first experience in our beautiful Finlandia Hall. You’ll be able to settle into your new home a few weeks before all your neighbors arrive. That includes meals, study space and several great hangout spaces right in the place you’ll call home.
Part college introduction. Part introduction to the unique culture of FinnU. Part peer bonding. Part skills building. All in all, this one-credit course is something you’ll remember forever. Just ask our 2017 Class Representative Matt McLaughlin!
Below are the steps you’ll need to follow to enroll in the Summer Bridge Program.
- Apply for admissions to Finlandia University
- Upon acceptance, discuss the program with your assigned enrollment officer
- If using federal aid, fill out the 2016-17 FAFSA
- Complete financial aid paperwork
- Your enrollment officer will take care of the paperwork, and register you for the program!