Greetings From The President
Welcome to Finlandia! I am pleased to bring this greeting to you as you plan your college career with us. The pages that follow contain many helpful details for achieving success here at Finlandia. Here I offer a few thoughts that intend to reinforce the larger commitments we make to all students who choose our learning community for their college career.
It is our shared conviction that higher education at its best engages and educates students as whole persons. This is why Finlandia is committed to a deliberately conceived and rigorously practiced model of teaching and learning that is relationship driven, holistic, and transformative. This idea takes seriously students in their entirety—mind, heart, and body—and its purpose is to foster enduring positive change in how all of us think, act, and feel in matters of the self, others, and the wider world.
It is also our conviction that in order to flourish in the 21st-century world and workplace our graduates need to acquire and develop a breadth of intellectual and professional competencies as well as a blend of matured human qualities. Knowledge acquisition and skill competency are essential and yet essentially inadequate for earning employer confidence or advancing careers. The growing expectation and need is matured personhood.
Most importantly, perhaps, is the conviction that a deeper sense of belonging enlivens the college experience and elevates student learning outcomes. We believe that learning pursued in community is higher education at its best. And this is what inspires us toward our vision: to accompany—as a whole learning community—the whole student toward a whole life. Welcome to Finlandia, where you belong. Welcome to Finlandia!
Philip Johnson, Ph.D.
A learning community dedicated to academic excellence, spiritual growth, and service.
Finlandia University is committed to offering liberal arts-based, globally connected, international, ecologically sensitive, spiritually engaged, and career-focused baccalaureate and associate degree programs, as well as community education opportunities. A dynamic Lutheran institution located in the pristine beauty of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, the university fosters intellectual challenge, open dialogue, service to others, and an entrepreneurial response to a world characterized by change. With a diverse faculty and student body, the university provides a connection to contemporary Finland and celebrates its Finnish-American and community roots. The university works to provide a nurturing, caring community focused on connecting theory and practice to the service of human beings and to good stewardship of natural resources.
The university is committed to the following:
- Offering bachelor and associate degree programs that promote the wellbeing of the human community and the natural environment
- Providing an atmosphere and environment supportive of open inquiry, personal growth, and collaborative approaches in teaching, campus life, and administration
- Providing and encouraging opportunities for service to others
- Maintaining a diverse board, faculty, staff, and student body that includes international members
- Maintaining programs of mutual cooperation and exchange with institutions of higher education in Finland and other countries
- Maintaining an active Lutheran presence on campus and promoting the spiritual growth of students, faculty, and staff
- Serving our region and the Finnish-American community
- Partnering with individuals, groups, agencies, and institutions in Finland to promote Finnish culture, design, business, and the arts within the United States and abroad
- Achieving recognized standards of quality for students, employees, programs, service areas, and fiscal performance