Position/Title: Science Instructor, Summer Program
Department: TRIO Upward Bound (UB)
Supervisor: Director of TRIO Upward Bound
Status/Type: Temporary (summer program), Fixed-duration/Exempt
Dates of Employment: (Tentative dates)
Tuesday, June 11, 2019 – Thursday, July 11, 2019
The Science Instructor will teach high school-aged youth during a five-week, on-campus summer program to engage students in Science-based activities and relate them to other STEM field areas (Technology, Engineering, and Math) whenever possible. Also, instruct students so they will obtain knowledge in specific branches of science to aid them in their upcoming high school classes. Tentative work scheduled will be Monday through Thursday afternoons: 12:30 PM – 3:30 PM from 6/11 – 7/10/2019. Each day will consist of three 55 minute classes based on what science class students are taking the following academic year. An end of summer program banquet is tentative scheduled on 7/11 from 6 pm – 7:30 pm.
- Ability to convey passion for knowledge and an appreciation for chosen topics in science
- Demonstrated ability to create a positive learning environment and build rapport with high school students
- Demonstrated ability to create diverse and engaging lessons for high school-age students
- Show an acceptance of diversity and empathy for youth
- Demonstrated commitment to the value of education
- Flexibility in scheduling and classroom setting
- State certification as a secondary school instructor
- 2-4 years experience instructing high school/youth
- Teach a five-week class to high school-aged youth
- Attend a banquet honoring students
- Complete bi-weekly student progress reports
- Meet with Program Staff weekly or as needed
- Adhere to Student, Staff and Campus guidelines, policies and procedures
- Work collegially and professionally with students, employees, and external constituents
- Demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life
- Perform other duties as required
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Alyson DeLandsheer, Human Resources Manager/Title IX Coordinator, (906) 487-7339, email@example.com.
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Review of applications will begin February 25, 2019 and continue until position is filled.
The TRIO UB Summer Staff Application can be found below or by calling (906)487-7343.
Mail or e-mail a cover letter and resume and TRIO UB employment application to:Dave Kamrad
Director TRIO Pre-College Programs
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930