Position/Title: Overnight Assistant, Summer Program
Department: TRIO Upward Bound (UB)
Supervisor: Director of TRIO Upward Bound
Status/Type: Temporary (summer program), Fixed-duration/Exempt
Dates of Employment: (Tentative dates)
All staff mandatory training:
Wednesday, June 5, 2019 – Friday, June 7, 2019
Monday, June 10, 2019 – Friday, July 19, 2019
Room & Board: Lodging and meals included
An Overnight Assistant (OA) is responsible for the overall care, safety, and well-being of all of the participants in the summer program. The OA will be on overnight duty, generally four nights per week Monday – Thursday, from 10:50 p.m. – 8:20 a.m., along with another OA.
- Completed at least two years of college, be enrolled full-time and pursuing, or already possessing, a Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Must be positive, enthusiastic, creative, flexible, mature and dependable through night shift and into the morning as students awake.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations and have empathy for youth
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as a member of a team
- Successfully pass a criminal background check
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, as needed
- First-Aid and CPR training
- Possess a valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record and the ability to successfully complete a university-administered written driving test
- Provide a positive, nurturing environment that encourages and motivates program participants to work toward becoming successful college-potential students
- Encourage and role-model appropriate social interactions and interpersonal skills in relationships with peers and adults, while practicing self-discipline and manners
- Keep nightly logs consistent with residential staff guidelines
- Calculate GPAs and perform weekly data entry
- Prepare student medication packs for the next day
- Create some type of weekly interactive challenge for participants
- Support the full-time administrative staff in forming and maintaining a cohesive unit and keep administrative staff abreast of any student/program concerns
- Travel with participants and TRIO UB staff on a major city field trip the last week of the summer program, continuing the OA’s responsibilities
- Assist all other TRIO UB staff and participating students with keeping residence hall and other areas clean and monitor cleanliness of participants’ rooms
- Attend mandatory trainings and participate and contribute to staff meetings
- Adhere to Student, Staff and Campus guidelines, policies and procedures
- Work collegially and professionally with students, employees and external constituents
- Demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life
- Perform other duties as assigned by Program Director and/or administrative staff
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Alyson DeLandsheer, Human Resources Manager/Title IX Coordinator,(906) 487-7339, email@example.com
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Review of applications will begin February 25, 2019 and continue until position is filled.
The TRIO UB Summer Staff Application can be found below or by calling (906)487-7343.
Mail or e-mail a cover letter, resume and TRIO UB Summer Staff Application to:Dave Kamrad
Director TRIO Pre-College Programs
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930