Title: Student Affairs Summer Intern
Department: Student Affairs
Supervisor: Dean of Students and Enrollment
Status/Type: Temporary (June 3, 2019-July 26, 2019)
(end date negotiable; minimum commitment of 6 weeks)
Position Summary: Responsible for developing resources, programs, and enhancing the existing student engagement practices for the Division of Student Affairs at Finlandia University. The summer intern will oversee a week long youth theatre camp, assist with the coordination and planning of Finlandia’s new student orientation programs, plan fall welcome activities and assist with fall housing placements.
- One year of experience in an accredited higher education master’s program and with an interest in pursuing a career in student
- No other commitments during this this timeframe including internships, employment, or academic courses (unless it pertains to this internship).
- Must possess strong self-motivation and capacity for self-directed
- Ability to live on campus in a provided
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact sensitively with students, families, faculty and staff from diverse
- Conditional offer pending a criminal background
- Enrolled in a higher education administration, college student personnel, or related graduate degree program
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the co-supervision of summer
- Serve in summer on-call duty rotation. Provide advice and guidance to student staff regarding residence hall and resident crises. Respond to student
- Foster a positive, educational, and fun community; emphasize mutual respect and inclusiveness in residence halls and
- Responsible for assisting in the planning and preparation of fall RA
- Assist with fall housing
Youth Summer Theatre Camp: (June 10-14)
- Supervise undergraduate student leaders.
- During week of camp, oversee check in and check out of youth participants (morning/afternoon).
- Plan and facilitate post-care
New Student Orientation:
- Assist with the planning and scheduling of New Student Orientation activities and fall welcome events.
- Collaborate with Director of Global Initiatives to develop an international student
- Update Orientation Leader
- Update student
- Coordinate with a variety of Finlandia departments including Residence Life, Dining Services, Academic Support, Marketing, Academic Affairs and
- Other duties as
Training Provided: Training will take place throughout the first week of work, including goal setting, expectation setting and development of learning outcomes to frame experience. The intern will also have the opportunity to spend one-on-one time with various administrators across campus to better understand the campus community and gain a more holistic experience.
Compensation and Other Benefits: Bi-weekly stipend of $500; individual residence hall room with shared en-suite bathroom; full meal plan; on-campus parking; travel reimbursement up to $300; access to campus fitness facilities.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Alyson DeLandsheer, Human Resources Manager/Title IX Coordinator, (906) 487-7339, email@example.com.
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Phone interviews will be conducted by March 8, 2019. Internship offers will be extended by April 12, 2019.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references by February 15, 2019 to:Erin Barnett
Dean of Students and Enrollment
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930