Department: TRIO Upward Bound (UB)
Supervisor: Director of TRIO Upward Bound
Status/Type: Temporary (summer program), Fixed-duration/Exempt
Dates of Employment: (Tentative dates)
All staff mandatory training:
Wednesday, June 9, 2021 – Friday, June 11, 2021
Monday, June 14, 2021 – Friday, July 23, 2021
Room & Board: Lodging and meals included
A Resident Assistant (RA) is responsible for the overall care, safety, and well-being of all participants in the summer program, with special attention to those students assigned to your core group. The number of students assigned to an RA will vary between four and seven, depending on the number of students attending. The program employs both male and female RA’s to adequately serve the gender-diverse program participants. An RA’s work week will typically, be Monday –Thursday 3:30 -11:30 pm, Friday 9:30 am – 3:30 pm, with an additional hour from 7 am – 8 am on three Mondays to disseminate keys to your core group.
- Completed at least two years of college, be enrolled full-time and pursuing, or already possessing, a Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Must be positive, enthusiastic, creative, flexible, mature and dependable.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations and have empathy for youth
- Ability to work independently, but also cooperatively as a member of a team
- Successfully pass a criminal background check
- Agree to participate in required training the week before residential portion begins
- First-Aid/CPR/Lifeguard training
- Possess a valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record and the ability to successful complete University-administered written driving test
- Guide and engage students in participating safely and successfully in all aspects of the Summer Program (SP)
- Provide a positive, nurturing environment that encourages and motivates program participants to work toward becoming successful college-potential students
- Encourage and role-model appropriate social interactions and interpersonal skills in relationships with peers and adults while practicing discipline and manners
- Interact with participants whenever possible; spend time to get to know them individually
- Accompany participants to and participate in nightly and community service activities encouraging a positive, supportive atmosphere
- Support the full-time administrative staff in forming and maintaining a cohesive unit and keep administrative staff abreast of any student/program concerns
- Attend and contribute to staff meetings
- Share responsibility and help in organizing and executing evening activities
- Use discretion and common sense in assuring participants get enough rest and stay healthy, physically and mentally, to handle long busy days
- Reside in the dorm when students are present
- Travel with the participants and other staff the last week of Program on major field trip, continuing responsibilities from on-campus portion
- Assist all other TRIO UB staff and participating students with keeping residence hall and other areas clean and monitor cleanliness of participants’ rooms
- Adhere to Student, Staff and Campus guidelines, policies and procedures
- Work collegially and professionally with students, employees and external constituents
- Support institutional identity and mission of Finlandia University as “a learning community dedicated to academic excellence, spiritual growth, and service”
- Perform other duties as assigned by Program Director and/or administrative staff
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns:
Title IX Coordinator
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERMail or e-mail a cover letter, resume and TRIO UB Summer Staff Application to:
Director TRIO Pre-College Programs
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930