Department: Registrar’s Office (5520)
Supervisor: Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs
Status/Type: Full-time (12 month)/Administrative-Exempt
The Registrar is responsible for updating, maintaining, and safeguarding student academic and enrollment records in compliance with federal law, state law, and accreditation agencies, thus serving as the official authorized custodian of the university’s student records. This position also functions as the leading resource for FERPA regulations. The successful candidate will lead in recommending academic policies and implementing procedures that fit the university’s mission and enhance students’ recruitment and persistence.
- Bachelor’s Degree in student services, educational administration, or related field.
- Three to five years of experience in university teaching and administration.
- Excellent written, oral, and electronic communication skills.
- Computer skills to include, but are not limited to, MS Office, Empower, or comparable student information system.
- Strong record keeping and policy implementation abilities.
- Strong organizational skills and detail-oriented.
- Must be self-directed and committed to professional development, problem-solving, customer service, and teamwork.
- Adaptable to a dynamic environment characteristic of an institution experiencing enrollment growth and program development.
- Master’s Degree preferred or evidence of further professional development.
- Previous experience working in a registrar’s office.
- Knowledge of academic and governmental regulations, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Responsible for collecting, recording, distribution, and permanent storage of student grade reports, transcripts, and diplomas for current and former students per institutional, state, federal, and accreditation guidelines.
- Maintain student records such as, but not limited to, grade reports and transcripts, academic placement, transfer evaluations, expected graduation dates, class standings, incomplete grade contracts, and grade appeals.
- Assist faculty, advisors, and students on academic policy and procedures.
- Generate and maintain up-to-date course schedules, descriptions, catalogs, final examination schedules, and classroom schedules.
- Generate and disseminate required reports and lists such as enrollment, student demographics, graduation, withdrawal, academic standing, and verification of degrees.
- Supervise enrollment verification procedures, including transcript evaluations, academic placements, and standing for new and returning students.
- Evaluate and assign credit for academic experiences, facilitate articulation agreements, and maintain the MACRAO transfer equivalency website.
- Oversee course registration procedures, including implementing independent/directed study courses and course substitutions.
- Coordinate academic advising functions, including assigning academic advisors, conducting training, and updating the annual advising handbook.
- Supervise the coordination, evaluation, and certification of all graduation applications, honor awards, and the accreditation of degrees.
- Coordinate activities related to commencement and honor’s banquet.
- Determine, verify and maintain academic eligibility for all athletic teams at the end of each semester.
- Served as a member of the Academic Achievement Committee, Athletic Committee, and Academic Council.
- Develop and administer the departmental budget.
- Supervise support staff, including but not limited to work-study students.
- Adhere to university policies and procedures.
- Work collegially and professionally with students, employees, and external constituents.
- Support the institutional identity and mission of Finlandia University “as a learning community dedicated to academic excellence, spiritual growth, and service.”
- Perform other duties as required.
Mail or E-mail cover letter and resume to:
Fredy de Yampert
VP Academic Affairs
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER