Title: Professional Academic Tutor– Business Courses
Department: Student Services and TRIO Student Support Services
Supervisor(s): Academic Coach and Project Director for TRIO Student Support Services
Status/Type: Part-time, Hourly
The Professional Tutor primarily delivers individual and group academic coaching and tutorial assistance to Finlandia students in business and general education courses. The Professional Tutor teams with professional and peer tutors to offer academic coaching and tutorial services to participants of a federally funded, educational opportunity program that annually serves FinnU students and the general Finlandia University student population. Professional Tutors may present short student workshops in their subject area or another college success topic. Professional Tutors will also lead student group study sessions. In addition, the Professional Tutor helps to maintain the student contacts into a student tracking software program.
- Bachelor’s degree in business (courses tutored include accounting, marketing, economics, business law, and management)
- Familiarity with current literature on academic coaching and tutoring
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated solid organizational and management skills
- Evidence of prior success in coaching/tutoring college students
- The ability to work independently as a self-starter including the ability to manage time and stay on task in the midst of an animated environment
- The ability to demonstrate a high level of emotional intelligence and effective critical thinking skills
- Sensitivity to and familiarity with the social, economic, and cultural background of low-income, first generation, ESL and students with disabilities
- Efficient in the use of personal computers, including common software and databases, electronic calendars and document sharing
- Able to promote a positive, student-oriented environment with the highest regard to student success and service to students
- Consistently conduct oneself with students, staff, faculty and colleagues in a friendly, courteous and positive manner
- Collaborate and coordinate with other university services, programs and faculty to foster a supportive and informed whole student approach to student success
- Master’s degree in core subject area
- One to three years of teaching experience
- Knowledge of personal and student development theory and practice
- Familiarity in supporting students with disabilities
- The ability to speak, write and understand Spanish
- Availability to hold occasional evening academic coaching/tutoring sessions
- Priority consideration will be given to applicants who have succeeded in overcoming barriers similar to the participants that TRIO SSS serves (students who are low-income, first-generation, possess a disability or use English as a second language.)
- Assist Project Director in promoting TRIO academic coaching/tutorial services
- Provide individual and group academic coaching and tutorial assistance to project participants in core subjects
- Contribute to a work environment that encourages and promotes all forms of diversity and cultural competency
- Enthusiastic personality attractive to college students and colleagues
- Demonstration of the ability to be adaptable, motivating, accessible, enthusiastic, validating, positive and patient.
- Provide study skill instruction as needed
- Maintain copies of all course syllabuses for semester courses in content area
- Maintain documentation of academic coaching and tutorial services rendered, including entering statistics into Student Access software for subsequent reports
- Support SSS and institutional efforts to operate in full compliance with Dept. of Education regulations and policies
- Assist students in the use of computers and various software programs
- Participate in TRIO SSS staff meetings and trainings
- Assist Project Director with ongoing TRIO tutoring and evaluation tasks
- Refer students experiencing personal or severe academic difficulties to the Project Director or Personal Counselor
- Demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Alyson DeLandsheer, Human Resources Manager/Title IX Coordinator, (906) 487-7339, firstname.lastname@example.org.
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
E-mail cover letter and resume to:Cindy Cowell
TRIO Student Support Services
601 Quincy Street
Hancock, MI 49930