Title: Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) Instructor
Department: College of Health Sciences
Supervisor: Physical Therapist Assistant Program Chair
Category: Faculty – Non-Tenure Track
Status/Type: Full-time (9-month)/ Professional Exempt
Position Summary: The Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) Instructor will teach program specific courses to prepare students to sit for the national exam for PTA licensure and practice as a physical therapist assistant in the profession of physical therapy. The PTA Instructor will also advise both PTA program majors and pre-physical therapy students, assisting them with planning and scheduling of classes. The PTA Instructor will also serve on university committees and participate in other volunteer activities. The PTA instructor will supervise students in their first clinical education rotation.
1. Bachelor’s degree required (Entry level PT or PTA degree and/or bachelor’s degree in health related field)
2. Current license to practice as a Physical Therapist or Physical Therapist Assistant in the State of Michigan or eligible for licensure in Michigan
3. Minimum of 2-3 years clinical experience
4. Ability to meet the faculty requirements stated in the Evaluative Criteria for the Accreditation of Physical Therapist Assistant Programs
5. Experience in curriculum development, didactic and /or clinical experience
6. Strong communication, organization, interpersonal, problem-solving, and counseling skills.
7. Current knowledge and skill in the use of information and computer technology (e.g., word processing, e-mail, database) or proven ability to learn these skills.
8. Must demonstrate a commitment to the profession of physical therapy and the ability to work effectively with faculty, students, and staff as well as with college administrators, alumni and the community.
1. Teach assigned subjects and competencies.
2. Prepare and distribute a syllabus at the beginning of each semester that describes the student behavior to be achieved as a result of having taken the course.
3. To make provision for periodic evaluation of his or her effectiveness as an instructor.
4. Post and maintain regular office hours for providing learning support and advisement to students.
5. Development, evaluation, and revision of the program curriculum.
6. Development, evaluation, and revision of assigned course offerings.
7. Advise students throughout the PTA curriculum.
8. Participate on university and departmental committees.
9. Supervise students while at Clinical Education I rotation.
10. Work collegially and professionally with students, employees, and external constituents.
11. Support institutional identity and mission of Finlandia University as “a learning
community dedicated to academic excellence, spiritual growth, and service.”
12. All responsibilities outlined in the Faculty Handbook under appropriate title.
13. Other tasks and duties as assigned by the academic leadership.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Karin Van Dyke, Title IX Coordinator, (906) 487-7344, email@example.com
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Anticipated start date: August 10, 2020
Finlandia University participates in the federal E-Verify system. Individuals hired into positions must have their identity and work eligibility confirmed by the E-Verify system. We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
E-mail cover letter and resume to:Pam Brown, PT
Physical Therapist Assistant Department
601 Quincy Street
Hancock, MI 49930