Title: Media Intern
Department: Marketing and Communications
Category: Internship (Stipend and, if applicable, for credit)
Status/Type: Temporary (2019-20 Academic Year)
Finlandia University is seeking a motivated, talented and driven Finlandia University upperclassmen to serve as Media Intern for the 2019-20 academic year. The successful candidate will be a vital part of the university’s communication team tasked with telling the story of Finlandia University’s students, staff and alumni. Primary responsibilities will include assisting with the university’s day-to-day presence on social media, coordinating and developing content for the Finlandia Podcast Network, including hosting Lion Around and playing a leading role in Finlandia Fridays.
Pay rate and hours are dependent on candidate. This is a great opportunity to gain real-world experience while making a positive impact on Finlandia’s future. Plus, you’ll work in a friendly, hard-working and fun environment with an experienced team. Coffee and a personal workspace with a 27” iMac are also neat bonuses.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge:
- Enrolled in an undergraduate program at Finlandia University focused in communication, marketing, graphic design, art and design, liberal studies, public relations or similar field.
- Comfort or interest in using a digital camera for photography and videography.
- Project management skills to manage varied editorial schedules and deadlines.
- Demonstrates initiative, leadership skills, high character and self-driven.
- Competent in word processing and spreadsheet software.
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge:
- Social media savvy. The most qualified candidate(s) will have experience using YouTube, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for marketing purposes.
- General knowledge of web content management systems (CMS).
- Basic understanding of social media analytics.
- Basic understanding of podcasting.
- Ability to create viral content that intrigues and engages an audience.
- Understanding of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) best practices and its effect on content development.
- Comfortable using Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge and/or Premiere – or similar software sets.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear and effective copy for digital formats.
- Develop and schedule content for on social media.
- Host the twice-monthly Lion Around podcast.
- Generate and implement strategies to grow audiences on social media and throughout the Finlandia Podcast Network.
- Assist in management of photography and videography library.
- Maintain consistent use of words and images to promote a positive Finlandia University brand image across all content channels.
- Write and edit web content and articles with a clear understanding of the intended audiences and outcomes.
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications team in the strategic planning of brand initiatives and other marketing and communications activities.
- Demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Alyson DeLandsheer, Human Resources Manager/Title IX Coordinator, (906) 487-7339, firstname.lastname@example.org
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Applications due by March 31, 2019.
For additional information regarding this position, please contact Michael H. Babcock at (906) 487-7348 or email@example.com.
E-mail or drop off a letter of application addressing qualifications for the position along with a resume to:Michael H. Babcock
Director of Marketing and Communications
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930