Department: Food Service
Supervisor: Director of Food Service
Status/Type: Full-time / Non-Exempt / Staff – Bargaining Unit
Pay Rate: Per CBA
Position Summary: The cook is responsible for preparing and serving meals for students, faculty, staff and guests of the University. The cook may regularly be involved in the delivery, set-up and clean up of catered events on and off campus. This is a regular full-time bargaining position with a work schedule of 40 hours per week including weekends.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Two or more years of institutional cooking experience (excluding fast-food)
- Must have the ability to work as a member of a team
- Ability to work without direct supervision
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to include weekends
- Strong interpersonal skills, strong work ethic, integrity and a positive attitude
- Must have the ability to lift 50 pounds
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Culinary degree from an accredited institution
- Safe-Serve certified
- Daily production of meals for the cafeteria following standard recipes and proper health code procedures.
- Ensure proper amount of servings using batch cooking to keep foods fresh and reduce waste.
- Daily meetings with supervisors to review amounts and procedures for meal production and event planning.
- Follow and enforce the highest standards of sanitation per WUPHD codes.
- Check-in and store stock from deliveries making sure to follow rotation procedures.
- Assist in all phases of special events, including cooking, set-up, delivery, break-down, and clean-up which include lifting up to 50 lbs. regularly, standing, stooping, bending.
- Maintain good personal hygiene as well as clean, sanitary, organized work and serving areas at all times.
- Adhere to university policies and procedures.
- Work collegially and professionally with students, employees and external constituents.
- Demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life.
- Perform other duties as required.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Alyson DeLandsheer, Human Resources Manager/Title IX Coordinator, (906) 487-7339, email@example.com
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Email, mail, or drop off an application for employment to:Tim Nakkula
Director of Food Service
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930