Title: Instructor of Mathematics
Department: Suomi College of Arts & Sciences, Math & Science Department
Supervisor: Dean, SCAS
Status/Type: Full-time (9 months) / Professional – Exempt
Position Summary: The Instructor of Mathematics is a full-time, one-year faculty position. The duties include teaching, student advising, curriculum development, university service, professional development, and other duties as assigned in accordance with the faculty handbook.
- A M.A. or M.S. in mathematics or a related discipline.
- Previous teaching experience at a college or university.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching.
- A Ph.D. in mathematics or a related discipline.
- Knowledge of learning theories and instructional techniques used to increase student learning in mathematics.
- Previous experience teaching under-prepared students.
- Teach general education courses in mathematics.
- Advise students by providing academic guidance, support for development of professional practice skills, and other assistance.
- Participate in the evaluation and development of academic program curricula.
- Perform various administrative duties as required or assigned.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Provide service to the university, including serving on university committees as assigned.
- Participate in student recruitment and retention efforts.
- Adhere to university policies and procedures.
- Work collegially and professionally with students, employees and external constituents.
- Demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life
- Perform other duties as required, as assigned by supervisor, or in accordance with the faculty handbook.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Karin VanDyke, Title IX Coordinator, (906) 487-7344, firstname.lastname@example.org
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Review of applications will immediately and continue until the position is filled.
E-mail or mail a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, three letters of recommendation from professional references, copies of graduate transcripts, and supporting materials (e.g., teaching evaluations, teaching portfolio) to:Jason Oyadomari
Dean, Suomi College of Arts & Sciences
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930