Title: Human Resources Manager
Department: Business Office
Status/Type: Full-time (12-month) / Administrative / Exempt
Position Summary: The Human Resources Manager provides comprehensive leadership for all human resources functions at the University. The Human Resources Manager is responsible for development, implementation, and enforcement of university policies, ensuring compliance of state and federal employment regulations, serving as a liaison between employees and management, and providing coaching, counseling, and advising in matters of policy, procedure, strategic planning, and compliance in human resource matters. Employee relations, recruitment, performance, compensation, benefits, and recordkeeping are also essential functions of Human Resources Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resource management, business administration, or related field, and/or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of three years experience in human resources. Previous experience in higher education, and additional supervisory experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of federal and state employment laws and regulations, including but not limited to: COBRA, FMLA, ADA/ADEA, FLSA, Title VII, Title IX, and ERISA
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving and change management skills
- Demonstrated professional integrity and ability to maintain security of confidential information
- Proficiency in computer applications, including MS Office and Excel
- Master’s degree in human resource management, business administration, or related-field, or evidence of professional development or HR certification
- Experience working in, directing, or supervising a payroll and/or benefits department, or functioning in a one-person, full-service, HR role
- Experience with Title IX administration and compliance
- Experience in labor contract negotiations and/or working with organized labor
- Provide leadership, supervision, coordination, and management of all human resources functions and delivery of HR services including benefits, wellness, employee development, recruitment/retention, compensation, classification, workers’ compensation, retirement, diversity and belonging, annual review process, training, employee relations, unemployment, and employment records.
- Advise senior leadership on HR-related management issues related to employment, personnel, benefits, legal, compliance and regulatory affairs, risk management and best practices.
- Advises, mediates, and assists managers with situations involving employee discipline and grievances
- Performs all personnel recordkeeping activities and maintains individual employee personnel-related Maintains HR and employment-related databases, and produces reports as required for internal and external constituents.
- Receives and responds to external employment verification requests, per existing confidentiality policies, as required and/or requested by employees
- Manages unemployment claims and speaks for the University in disputes, hearings, and related matters
- Serves as primary labor relations administrator in bargaining unit contract negotiations and disputes
- Fosters a workplace that is consistent with the values, mission, and vision of Finlandia University
- Adheres to university policies and procedures
- Works collegially and professionally with students, employees, and external constituents
- Demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life.
- Performs other duties as required
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Karin Van Dyke, Title IX Coordinator, (906) 487-7344, firstname.lastname@example.org.
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Finlandia University participates in the federal E-Verify system. Individuals hired into positions must have their identity and work eligibility confirmed by the E-Verify system. We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.
Email or mail cover letter and resume to:Gary Black
601 Quincy Street
Hancock, MI 49930