Title: Cook – Temporary Full-Time
Department: Dining Services
Supervisor: Director of Dining Services
Status/Type: Full-time Temporary / Non-Exempt
Position Summary: The cook is responsible for preparing and serving meals for students, faculty, staff and
guests of the University. The cook may regularly be involved in the delivery, set-up and clean-up of catered events on and off campus. This is a regular full-time position with a work schedule of 40 hours per week including weekends.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Two or more years of institutional cooking experience (excluding fast-food)
- Must have the ability to work as a member of a team
- Ability to work without direct supervision
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to include weekends
- Strong interpersonal skills, strong work ethic, integrity and a positive attitude
- Must have the ability to lift 50 pounds
- Must have a valid drivers license
- Culinary degree from an accredited institution
- Safe-Serve certified
- Daily production of meals for the cafeteria following standard recipes and proper health code procedures.
- Ensure proper amount of servings using batch cooking to keep foods fresh and reduce waste.
- Daily meetings with supervisors to review amounts and procedures for meal production and event planning.
- Follow and enforce the highest standards of sanitation per WUPHD codes.
- Check-in and store stock from deliveries making sure to follow rotation procedures.
- Assist in all phases of special events, including cooking, set-up, delivery, break- down, and clean-up which include lifting up to 50 lbs. regularly, standing, stooping, bending.
- Maintain good personal hygiene as well as clean, sanitary, organized work and serving areas at all times.
- Adhere to university policies and procedures.
- Work collegially and professionally with students, employees and external constituents.
- Support institutional identity and mission of Finlandia University “as a learning Community dedicated to academic excellence, spiritual growth, and service.”
- Perform other duties as required.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Finlandia University participates in the federal E-Verify system. Individuals hired into positions must have their identity and work eligibility confirmed by the E-Verify system. We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty,
staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics,
programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Fredi deYampert, Title IX Coordinator, (906) 487-7301, fredi.deYampert@finlandia.edu
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERTim Nakkula
Director of Food Service
601 Quincy St., Hancock, MI 49930