Title: Executive Assistant to the President
Department: President and Advancement
Status/Type: Full-time (12 month) / Administrative-Exempt
The Executive Administrative Assistant to the President and Advancement (Executive Assistant) carries out executive administrative duties that best facilitate the leadership, decision-making, and fund-raising role of Finlandia’s President. This position represents the top administrative position on campus and serves as the lead point of contact and the voice of the president when carrying out daily administrative duties to both internal and external constituencies. The Executive Assistant receives, prioritizes, and initiates communication on behalf of the President, serves as liaison to campus and community, coordinates the President’s calendar, arranges travel and itineraries, plans events hosted by the office of the president, and receives and welcomes guests of the president. Advancement-focused administrative duties include coordination and implementation of advancement mailings, responsibility for donor gift processes, advancement-related reporting, and list generation.
Required Credential and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Four years of demonstrated effectiveness as an executive administrative assistant or similar.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office
- Exceptional writing skills
- Office of the President
- Serves as the first direct contact for the Office of the President, representing the president in a positive and highly professional manner.
- Supports the president’s outward-facing activities involving community partners, businesses, and organizations, including event planning and follow up and attending when needed.
- Serves as a liaison between the president and faculty and staff by soliciting ideas and information from, and providing information to, these groups to promote positive campus relations.
- Manages multiple, competing priorities and deadlines.
- Executes administrative duties at the highest level, including managing time- critical and sensitive information.
- Anticipates the president’s needs and seeks to balance the president’s priorities so that the president can be focused on strategic priorities.
- Safeguards confidentiality of college administration by exercising discretion in communicating information and in handling administrative records, all activities related to the board of trustees, as well as maintaining confidentiality of information exposed to in the course of business regarding students, supervisors, or other employees.
- Coordinates the flow of incoming and outgoing communications by drafting correspondence or letters for the president’s signature; receiving, routing, and/or responding to incoming communications; and determining the appropriate office, department, or agency for outgoing communications.
- Serves as Chief Liaison with Finlandia Board of Trustees: provides all executive assistant level administrative and liaison support to Finlandia’s Board of Trustees including individual trustee communication as well as full board and board committee meeting preparation, implementation, and follow up.
- Calendar and Travel Arrangements: together with the president, coordinates daily, weekly, monthly, and annual scheduling; provide travel planning and follow-up including itinerary building, scheduling visits, preparing pre-visit and post-visit documents.
- Communication: receives, prioritizes, and replies to or reviews with the president all forms of communication received by the office including mail, email, and phone calls.
- Event Planning and Preparation: makes necessary arrangements such as preparing lists, sending invitations, tracking attendance, and preparing materials if needed.
- Hospitality: promotes a positive image of the university by greeting and welcoming visitors to the president’s office.
- Donor Contact: schedules visits, responds to inquiries or requests for information, writes and records donor contact reports.
- Donor Gift Process: responsible for the donor gift process including donor record maintenance, gift receipting and preparation of gift acknowledgments.
- Reporting: provides reports needed for planning and/or presentation.
- Coordination of Donor Mailings: in collaboration with Marketing/Communications, prepares an annual schedule of advancement mailings and track results.
- Works with other advancement staff to provide administrative support where needed.
- May work an occasional evening or weekend to support events or activities hosted by the president.
- Adheres to university policies and procedures.
- Works collegially and professionally with students, employees and external constituents.
- Supports the institutional vision of Finlandia University: to be a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the president or other advancement staff.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Mail or e-mail(preferred) a cover letter, resume, and references to:
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The Title IX Coordinator has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns, phone 906-487-7301. The Title IX Coordinator’s office is located in Mannerheim Hall, Room 150.
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER