Title: Director of Marketing and Communications
Department: External Relations
Supervisor: Vice President for External Relations
Status/Type: Full-time / Staff / Exempt
Position Summary Finlandia University is recruiting a Director of Marketing Communications to direct the development, management and deployment of institutional marketing and communications. The director will lead, motivate, supervise and evaluate a team of three talented marketing and communications professionals, and work collaboratively with individuals and organizations across campus and the community to achieve short- and long-term goals tied to student, academic and operational success. This will be done while producing consistent, unified messaging that aligns with the university brand and helps to advance the university’s reputation and standing.
The director will develop and implement creative and measurable communications plans that encompass strategic planning and execution; create and foster key partnerships; conduct ongoing team training and development; oversee all advertising efforts; work with university leadership to shape key messages; interact with campus leaders to build consensus and rapport; proactively manage situational communications opportunities, including emergency communications; establish and oversee the building of relationships with area media and press partners; provide marketing support for other priorities as assigned; manage the annual marketing and communication budget; conceive and coordinate production of marketing materials including advertisements, newsletters, presentations, publications, websites, social media and the university’s magazine, the Bridge; and measure and evaluate marketing efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, graphic design or related discipline.
- Five or more years of experience in design, marketing or communications related field.
- Strong interpersonal, administrative, and management skills; comfortable working as part of a team, with a strong work ethic, individual initiative, integrity, and a positive, energetic attitude.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines, and work under pressure.
- Advanced written and verbal communications skills; excellent knowledge of grammar- and style-related conventions; copy editing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to write copy for web and electronic media.
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency of web technology and trends.
- Demonstrated ability to develop new product or service ideas, create a plan, and then manage the plan through completion.
- Basic photography and videography skills.
- Business acumen.
- Develop and manage a comprehensive communications strategy.
- Identify and develop avenues for the reputational advancement among key constituencies including alumni, parents, friends, students, prospective students, policymakers, faculty/staff, and friends, contributors and supporters.
- Primary project manager of the website. Responsible for usability, design, content development and management, search engine optimization, accessibility, monitoring latest trends, benchmarking within higher education, and maintaining website metrics and statistics.
- Research, write and edit media releases, feature articles, advertisements, and web content (images, copy, video, and others) in proper formats that are accurate and compelling, following the university style guide.
- Develop an annual marketing program to support admissions, coordinated with the Office of Admissions and that dovetails with and builds upon channels that are not controlled by this position. The program will organize activities and products that support admissions, and it will:
- Be based upon Institutional goals and the evaluation of demographic and psychographic data.
- Integrate a mix of appropriate media, such as print, online/web advertising, email marketing, direct mail marketing, etc.
- Ensure the plan and materials are consistent in messaging and branding.
- Measure effectiveness of marketing programs and strategies.
- Research and determine brand weaknesses and areas to be modified.
- Lead other units to conduct competitive strategic analysis, segmentation, and insight development to develop individualized strategies and road maps.
- Oversee advertising and media planning.
- Educate and train other campus marketers on brand standards and goals.
- Effectively track and measure the impact of marketing efforts through monitoring and reporting of data.
- Demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life
- Perform other duties as required
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Alyson DeLandsheer, Human Resources Manager/Title IX Coordinator , (906) 487-7339, firstname.lastname@example.org
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
E-mail cover letter and resume to:Karin Van Dyke
Vice President for Advancement
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930