Title: Director of Campus Safety & Security
Department: Campus Safety & Security
Supervisor: Dean of Students
Status/Type: Full-time / Staff / Exempt
Position Summary: The Director of Campus Safety & Security directs all aspects of the department to ensure that the Finlandia Campus is safe and secure. The Director is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the Department of Campus Safety and Security, including strategic planning and financial oversight for the department. Department employees are expected to work in partnership with the campus and area communities to provide leadership in solving community problems, preventing crime and providing a safe environment to fulfill the mission of the University.
- Bachelor’s Degree (significant years of higher education, campus safety experience and knowledge/skills preferred may be considered in lieu of degree.)
- Previous related work experience
- Ability to work under stress and to clearly convey thoughts and instructions to others both verbally and in writing.
- Professional attitude, including the ability to uphold confidentiality
- Ability to pass a background investigation covering employment, driving, and criminal records.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and on-call
- Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice or Education.
- 3-5 years of successful employment in the safety and/or security fields.
- Responds to campus incidents involving safety and security, and administers appropriate responses using good judgment.
- Manages compliance with all federal, state and local reporting requirements, including the Clery Act.
- Completes scheduling of Security employees for coverage on-campus.
- Coordinates with Student Affairs personnel to provide student-centered public safety support services.
- Inventory & Maintenance of college safety equipment (AEDs, Fire Extinguishers, Emergency Lighting, & Eyewash Stations)
- Supervises budget and ordering activities for the Department, including parking and ID needs.
- Participates in strategic planning initiatives for the department.
- Conducts grant research and prepares and submits requests for funding when appropriate.
- Communicates with internal and external constituents to improve services.
- Leads the Crisis Management Team, ensuring response to Campus Emergencies.
- Serves on appropriate committees.
- Works collegially with students to help them develop, particularly connecting student conduct to this collegiality.
- Participates in professional development opportunities as appropriate.
- Adheres to university policies and procedures.
- Works collegially and professionally with students, employees and external constituents.
- Works cooperatively with staff from other divisions on campus that include Academic Affairs, Business and Finance, Facilities Operations, University Advancement, Communications and Marketing, Athletics, Enrollment Management as well as other support units within Student Affairs (e.g., Dean of Students, Residential Life, etc.)
- Acts as a regular, on-call emergency contact for the office of residential life
- Support institutional identity and mission of Finlandia University “as a learning Community dedicated to academic excellence, spiritual growth, and service”
- Performs other duties as required
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Finlandia University participates in the federal E-Verify system. Individuals hired into positions must have their identity and work eligibility confirmed by the E-Verify system. We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Fredi deYampert, Title IX Coordinator, (906) 487-7301, fredi.deYampert@finlandia.edu
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERE-mail cover letter and resume to:
Dean of Students and Enrollment
601 Quincy Street
Hancock, MI 49930