Title: Director of Admissions
Supervisor: Dean of Students and Enrollment
Status/Type: Full-time / Staff / Exempt
Position Summary: Finlandia University invites applicants for the Director of Admissions position. This position reports directly to the Dean of Students and Enrollment, but will also work collaboratively with other university staff, faculty and students to directly support the mission and goals of the university and Admissions Office.
Finlandia is seeking an exceptional admissions professional to lead Finlandia next three years of enrollment growth. Finlandia’s strategic plan ambitiously calls for double-digit percentage enrollment growth through 2021. New admissions and marketing tools, together with facility renovations will fuel exceptional growth in health sciences and business. The plan also invests in new online programming, transfer and international student initiatives, and robust rosters in 12 NCAA DIII athletics programs.
The successful candidate will provide strategic leadership and management for the planning, coordinating and implementing of undergraduate admissions, following industry best practices and campus policies for enrolling new students from secondary and postsecondary institutions. The Director will be committed to data-driven recruitment strategies and will oversee first-year and transfer recruitment, including but not limited to the following: maintaining, evaluating and developing best practices for admissions policies and procedures throughout the application cycle; providing information, supervision, training and guidance to enrollment officers; planning recruitment events; establishing recruitment goals; and developing a strategy to help reach enrollment targets. This individual will collaborate closely with Marketing and Financial Aid offices to position Finlandia University for enrollment growth. The Director will be required to travel on behalf of the University and work hours will include evenings and weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three years of supervisory and personnel management experience in a professional office setting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; accuracy and attention to detail, possess professional interaction, networking, and constituency-building skills, demonstrate interesting, dynamic, articulate, credible, and fluid group presentation skills.
- Willingness and ability to work non-standard hours including evenings and weekends as required.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel locally and nationally.
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective business and/or working relationships with internal and external constituents.
- Proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, Word, databases and other computer skills.
- Experience working with a CRM.
- Capacity to work in a fast-paced environment and to be a self-starter.
- Ability to lead and manage a team.
- Master’s degree
- Prior experience working in higher education, specifically in an admissions office
- Proven ability to recruit, train and motivate personnel in order to encourage a student centered approach to recruitment and maximize net tuition revenue generation and undergraduate enrollment growth.
- Strong data analysis and reporting background.
- Prior experience using COMSPEC Software, or other databases common to higher education and/or university admissions.
- Knowledge of regulatory, professional, and ethical guidelines in enrollment management, financial aid and international student recruiting to ensure compliance with University, state and federal rules and regulations.
- Develop and implement the University’s recruitment plan, overseeing its successful execution, and monitoring and assessing the plan to ensure the University meets its stated enrollment goals in support of the strategic plan.
- Lead application processing including creating and executing procedures based upon best practices.
- Collaborate with Office of Student Financial Services to effectively leverage financial aid packaging, process scholarships, train admissions staff, and provide financial literacy opportunities to prospective students & their families.
- Monitor application flow, the review process, deposits and withdrawal rates throughout the admission cycle.
- Collaborate with academic colleges and schools to establish how to best coordinate and assist the colleges in meeting university admission goals.
- Lead a team of undergraduate admissions professionals, offering mentorship, training and professional development opportunities to ensure admissions team members are effective recruiters, strategic territory managers and engaging presenters.
- Improve and develop strategic ways to increase the effectiveness of each step to enroll a student, including the steps from inquiry to application/application to admit/admit to enrolled student.
- Collaborate with Marketing Office to plan and operationalize all communication flows for admissions, including publication creation, admissions correspondence, mail schedules, email communications and website functions.
- Manage student records to comply with all University, state, federal and accreditation requirements
- Maintain and administrate the EMPOWER database for all student records/admissions software applications. Generate routine reports and use data to monitor systems.
- Utilize and stay current with admissions technology and systems, including direct oversight of the Liaison EMP CRM in conjunction with Enrollment Operations for undergraduate enrollment purposes
- Assist in developing and managing department budget.
- Manage the recruitment activities for a specific geographic region.
- Develop and manage admissions-related special events, including open houses and recruitment events.
- Work in partnership with University departments, including academic affairs, residence life, financial aid, academic support, and TRiO Student Support Services.
- Work closely with coaches from the University’s athletic programs and act as the primary liaison between athletics and admissions.
- Assist executive management with special projects.
- Adhere to university policies and procedures.
- Work collegially and professionally with students, employees and external constituents.
- Demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life.
- Perform other duties as required.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Alyson DeLandsheer, Human Resources Manager/Title IX Coordinator, (906) 487-7339, email@example.com
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Finlandia University participates in the federal E-Verify system. Individuals hired into positions must have their identity and work eligibility confirmed by the E-Verify system. We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
To apply please send resume and cover letter to:Erin Barnett
Dean of Students and Enrollment
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930