Department: Food Service
Supervisor: Director of Food Service
Status/Type: Full-time/ Non-Exempt
Pay Rate: $14.16
Benefits Eligibility: Full Benefits
The cook is responsible for preparing and serving meals for students, faculty, staff, and guests of the University. The cook may regularly be involved in the delivery, set-up, and clean-up of catered events on and off campus. This is a regular full-time bargaining position with a work schedule of 40 hours per week, including weekends.
1. High school diploma or equivalent
2. Two or more years of institutional cooking experience (excluding fast food)
3. Must have the ability to work as a member of a team
4. Ability to work without direct supervision
5. Ability to work a flexible schedule to include weekends
6. Strong interpersonal skills, strong work ethic, integrity, and a positive attitude
7. Must have the ability to lift 50 pounds
8. Must have a valid driver’s license
1. Culinary degree from an accredited institution
2. Safe-Serve certified
1. Daily production of meals for the cafeteria following standard recipes and proper health code procedures.
2. Ensure the proper amount of servings using batch cooking to keep foods fresh and reduce waste.
3. Daily meetings with supervisors to review amounts and procedures for meal production and event planning.
4. Follow and enforce the highest standards of sanitation per WUPHD codes.
5. Check-in and store stock from deliveries and follow rotation procedures.
6. Assist in all phases of special events, including cooking, set-up, delivery,
break-down, and clean-up, which include lifting up to 50 lbs. regularly, standing, stooping, and bending.
7. Maintain good personal hygiene and clean, sanitary, organized work and serving areas at all times.
8. Adhere to university policies and procedures.
9. Work collegially and professionally with students, employees, and external constituents.
10. Demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward an entire life.
11. Perform other duties as required.
Director of Food Service, Finlandia University
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930
“Finlandia University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.”