Title: Communication & Design Specialist
Department: Marketing & Communications
Supervisor: Director of Marketing & Communications
Category: Staff, full-time
Status/Type: 12-month, exempt
Position Summary: Finlandia University is seeking a talented, entry-level marketing professional who is looking for a great opportunity to grow professionally while making a difference at a vital time for FinnU in the position of Communication & Design Specialist. The successful candidate’s primary duties will be to develop FinnU’s resources, produce against multiple deadlines, create, guide and direct creative work that moves audiences towards deeper engagement with the brand. The Communication & Design Specialist will execute and evolve the Finlandia brand over a variety of media including print, digital, photography, video and multimedia.
- Minimum associates degree in graphic design, communications, marketing, or related field.
- Proficient in latest Macintosh platform desktop publishing software, including Adobe Creative Cloud and QuarkXpress.
- Familiarity with marketing strategies and the development of print and digital marketing materials.
- Strong interpersonal, and administrative skills; comfortable working as part of a team, with a strong work ethic, individual initiative, integrity, and a positive, energetic attitude.
- Ability to balance multiple projects while meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Basic photography and videography skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, communications, marketing, or relevant field
- Experience in video editing and/or photography
- Experience in higher education
- Experience with the print process to properly quote and create press ready files for final production
- An understanding of postal regulations concerning bulk mailings to minimize postal cost and meet postal regulations.
- This position is responsible for creating marketing materials that support University marketing efforts, including print publications such as the University magazine the Bridge, advertising campaigns, and many more.
- Create print and digital projects/pieces that are effective, aesthetically appealing to a number of different targeted audiences and align with the University plan and established brand standards.
- Build successful relationships with departments while conceptualizing and producing professional-quality original projects which incorporate the University’s integrated marketing/branding standards into their marketing materials.
- Develop cost estimates, production timelines for University publications/projects while balancing project needs within departmental budgets.
- Perform preparatory work such as graphic content, layout, formatting, color correcting, identifying paper stock and preparing computer files for printers or web.
- Maintain department files of completed projects; maintain accurate logs of projects such as contact person, quantity and materials used.
- Coordinate purchasing paperwork between departments, purchasing and vendors.
- Oversee the production of printing and mailing of University publications.
- Serve as creative lead for the Bridge (alumni magazine) and FinnTV, the University’s digital signage, by developing and managing the visual identity of each.
- Collaborate with the Director of Marketing Communications and Dean of Enrollment on developing and maintaining the University website and developing content for email marketing campaigns
- Maintain positive, productive relationships with print vendors, ensuring quality low-cost vendors; act as a liaison between the University and various outside vendors.
- Photograph and film events/activities that can be used to create marketing material.
- Oversees and manages graphic design work studies and/or interns
- Create videos that move audiences to more deeply engage the University brand.
- Active self-learner and willingness to learn from others to continually elevate craft to enhance job performance and success.
- Support institutional identity and mission of Finlandia University “as a learning community dedicated to academic excellence, spiritual growth, and service.”
- Perform other duties as required.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Information about Marketing & Communications at Finlandia University:
Finlandia University’s Marketing & Communications department is focused on creating, designing and delivering a clear, consistent and compelling institutional brand. Our goal is to tell the story of Finlandia to help her earn a strong local and regional reputation for higher education value, quality and opportunity by reinforcing our brand identity to students, faculty, staff and our broader communities.
Finlandia University participates in the federal E-Verify system. Individuals hired into positions must have their identity and work eligibility confirmed by the E-Verify system. We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Fredi deYampert, Title IX Coordinator, (906) 487-7301, fredi.deYampert@finlandia.edu
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYEREmail cover letter, resume and portfolio to:
Director of Marketing & Communications
601 Quincy Street
Hancock, MI 49930