Title: Athletic Trainer
Supervisor: Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine
The Athletic Trainer reports to the Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medine and will work under the direction of the Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medine and will oversee the management and daily operations of the Athletic Training Room in all areas associated with supporting the University’s fourteen (14) athletic teams.
1. Bachelor’s degree
2. Current certification as an athletic trainer through the Board of Certification for Athletic Trainers.
3. Licensed (or eligible for licensure) to practice athletic training in the state of Michigan (must be obtained PRIOR to starting employment).
4. Current CPR/AED/First Aid certification
5. 2-4 years of experience in an intercollegiate athletics setting.
6. Demonstrates good verbal and written communication skills.
7. Must be able to work with a diverse group of people, in intense or emergency medical situations.
8. Must be able to meet continuing education requirements as mandated.
9. Must be able to satisfy the athletic event schedule for travel and work on weekends and evenings.
1. Master’s degree.
2. Four (4) or more years related and progressive experience in an intercollegiate athletics athletic training department or a sports medicine clinic.
3. American Red Cross Instructor Certified.
4. Knowledge of the NCAA and conference rules and regulations.
5. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to convey a message by adopting a range of styles, tools, and techniques appropriate to the audience and nature
of information. Ability to deal with a wide range of people with tact and diplomacy.
6. Ability to effectively communicate verbally, including knowledge of interview techniques.
7. Ability to effectively communicate in writing, both internally and externally, including editing and publication skills.
8. Strong organizational and time management skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
9. Ability to proactively identify communications opportunities and develop supporting programs.
10. Supervisory experience and the ability to collaborate, delegate, and empower staff.
11. Professional judgement and discretion.
12. Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
1. Prepare athletes for practice and competition.
2. Prepare and maintain accurate and up to date medical records for student-athletes and monitor insurance.
3. Provide athletic training services under the supervision of the Assistant AD for Sports Medicine and team physician.
4. Continuous improvement to the institution’s concussion management program for new and returning student-athletes.
5. Assess and report the progress of recovering athletes to physicians, therapist, Athletic Trainer and coaches.
6. Serve as a liaison to doctors and other allied health professionals to deliver care to student.
7. Collaborate with physicians, therapist and Athletic Trainer and coaches to develop and implement comprehensive rehabilitation programs for the athletic department.
8. Collaborate with physician and/or therapist to order, properly fit, and adjust orthosis for athlete/patient to return to play/activity, maintain function, or protect joint.
9. Perform general administrative tasks, such as keeping records, insurance reports or writing care reports.
10. Assists in planning and implementing comprehensive athletic injury or illness prevention.
11. Compliance with all federal and state laws regarding the confidentiality of the students.
12. Oversee all on field/court/ice assessments and emergency care to injured athletes at events both on and off campus.
13. A sound knowledge of competencies and treatment techniques as an Athletic Trainer, including modalities trained to assist in the rehabilitation and prevention of injuries.
14. Work well in a collaborative team approach with other AT’s as well as sports medicine team; physicians, therapists, counselors, etc.
15. Other duties as assigned or requested.
Mail or e-mail cover letter and resume to:
Director of Athletics
601 Quincy Street
Hancock, MI 49930
Application review will begin immediately and the position will remain posted until filled.