Title: Assistant Registrar
Department: Registrar’s Office
Status/Type: Full-Time / Staff / Exempt – 12 months
Position Summary: Provide administrative support for the management of the Registrar’s Office. Responsible for assisting with the daily operations of the Registrar’s Office, including the maintenance of academic records of applicants and students, while providing quality customer service. Under general direction, the position will coordinate scheduling activities, transfer evaluation processes, assist in data entry for the IPEDS reporting, and oversee the updating of the annual campus catalog. The successful applicant will demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, education, or related field
- Experience with database entry and management
- Experience with responsibilities that require adherence to strict compliance procedures
- Proficient computer skills with ability to adapt to office software system programs
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Problem-solving skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Good supervisory skills
- Experience working with university records, knowledge of academic programs, and transfer evaluations
- Knowledgeable of FERPA regulations
- Knowledge of EMPOWER or other student information system
- Assist the registrar in managing the Registrar’s office and maintaining student records.
- Compile and complete the data entry portion of the IPEDS reporting process that falls under the responsibility of the Registrar’s office.
- Coordinate electronic transcript process, to include being the lead person in regards to customer service for transcript requests.
- Coordinate and compile the course schedule for the upcoming semester(s).
- Inform the academic advisors of registration errors and work to assist them in finding solutions, if possible.
- Provide quality customer service to students, advisors, faculty, and staff that are seeking assistance. Including but not limited to: adds/drops/withdrawal processing, major/advisor changes, schedule error updates, enrollment verifications, etc.
- Act as the lead person in evaluating transcripts to determine what credits are transferrable and how they will be accepted into Finlandia University. This will include working closely with faculty, deans, and program heads to determine direct equivalencies.
- Keep the transfer equivalency tables updated in the Michigan Transfer Network in an effort to promote the transferability of courses both in and out of Finlandia.
- Work as a point of contact for community colleges and other institutions of higher learning for transfer inquiries.
- Act as a point of contact with the registrar and administration as we work to expand our exposure in the transfer market.
- Work closely with the Transfer Coordinator in Admssions to help communicate with new, incoming transfer students regarding the courses that are being accepted into Finlandia and how they will apply towards their program/major.
- Receive placement files from Admissions to process class placements based on transcripts and test scores.
- Coordinate the yearly Academic Catalog updates from year-to-year in collaboration with deans/department heads and verify that updates are completed by the given due date.
- Serve as a consulting/active member of the Academic Achievement Committee. This may require evening/weekend hours for the Honors Banquet and Commencement.
- Act as a back-up/assistant with the coordination of the VA education benefit programs.
- Operation of standard office equipment.
- Extreme accuracy in the maintenance of academic records and in addressing problems in student records. This will include data entry & management of paper and electronic records.
- Knowledge of FERPA regulations
- Assist with supervision of work study students
- Adhere to university policies and procedures
- Work collegially and professionally with students, employees and external constituents.
- Demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life.
- Perform related duties as required, which may include clerical duties as needed.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Alyson DeLandsheer, Human Resources Manager/Title IX Coordinator, (906) 487-7339, firstname.lastname@example.org
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Mail or e-mail a cover letter, resume, and references to:Jason Sullivan
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930