Title: Assistant Professor of Psychology
Department: Social Sciences; Suomi College of Arts and Sciences
Supervisor: Dean, SCAS
Status/Type: Full-time (9 months) / Professional – Exempt
The Assistant Professor of Psychology is a full-time, tenure-track faculty position. The preferred area of expertise is in Social, Cognitive, Clinical, Developmental, or Personality Psychology. The duties include teaching assignments, student advising, curriculum development, professional development and research, university service, and other duties as assigned in accordance with the faculty handbook. Ability to develop courses for and engage first-year students is highly desirable.
- A PhD in Psychology or related field is required. ABDs will be considered and are encouraged to apply.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Previous college-level teaching experience and a demonstrated commitment to teaching.
- Previous experience with undergraduate research.
- Teach courses in the Psychology major. Courses may include Introduction to Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Personality Psychology, Social Psychology, Research Methods, Statistics, History & Systems, and upper-level courses in his or her area of expertise.
- Advise students by providing academic guidance, support for development of professional practice skills, and other assistance.
- Participate in the development of academic program curricula and assessment of student learning.
- Perform various administrative duties as required or assigned.
- Assist in the development and mentorship of student research.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Provide service to the university, including serving on university committees as assigned.
- Participate in student recruitment and retention efforts.
- Adhere to university policies and procedures.
- Work collegially and professionally with students, employees, and external constituents.
- Demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life.
- Perform other duties as required, as assigned by supervisor, or in accordance with the faculty handbook.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Alyson DeLandsheer, Human Resources Manager/Title IX Coordinator, (906) 487-7339, firstname.lastname@example.org
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Review of application will begin Jan 21, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
E-mail or mail cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, letters of recommendation from three professional references, copies of graduate transcripts, and supporting materials (i.e., teaching evaluations, teaching portfolio) to:Darren Bausano
Administrative Assistant, Suomi College of Arts & Sciences
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930