Title: Assistant Professor – Nursing
Department: Nursing; Junior Academic Level
Supervisor: Nursing Department Chair
Category: Faculty, Tenure Track
Status/Type: Full-time (9 month) / Exempt
Position Summary: An Assistant Professor in Nursing is primarily responsible for the teaching and supervision of junior-level nursing students in the classroom and clinical settings. Junior academic-level clinical settings include primarily Medical-Surgical and outpatient areas, and includes the supervision of pediatric, family practice, and maternal newborn rotations. Teaching responsibilities include the development and delivery of a courses in the areas of Maternal-Child, Medical-Surgical Nursing, and Acute/Urgent Care Nursing (extends into summer session). Additional academic duties include participation in assessment activities, committee assignments, and academic advising.
- Master’s Degree in nursing or related field with a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing received from an accredited nursing program; RNs holding a BSN and enrolled in a graduate nursing program will also be considered.
- Minimum of 3 years clinical nursing experience in Medical/Surgical area. Maternal/Child clinical experience a plus.
- Unrestricted license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan 4. Current CPR certification
- Doctoral degree in nursing, education, or related field
- Previous teaching experience in academic, clinical settings, and online 3. Ability to work with diverse faculty, students, staff, and administrators
- Instruction of classes and clinical site components as assigned
- Direct and indirect supervision of students in diverse clinical settings 3. Coordination of clinical, lab, and course assignments in collaboration with the faculty team in the assigned academic level
- Evaluation of students in class and clinical/lab settings
- Regular communications with students regarding progress
- Maintenance of student academic records
- Uphold expected course outcomes
- Complete course-level assessments
- Participate in program assessment activities
10.Uphold teaching, advising, and service responsibilities as outlined in the Faculty Handbook
11.Lead, supervise, motivate, and mentor students and provide uncommon attention to their educational development
12.Perform various administrative duties as required or assigned
13.Maintain and safeguard confidential data under HIPAA and FERPA regulations 14.Adhere to university policies and procedures
15.Work collegially and professionally with students, faculty, staff, and external constituents
16.Support the institutional identity and mission of Finlandia University as “a learning community dedicated to academic excellence, spiritual growth, and service” 17.Perform other duties as required, as assigned by supervisor, or in accordance with the Faculty Handbook
Position will begin in fall 2021.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns:
Title IX Coordinator
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERMail or e-mail a letter of application describing qualifications for and interest in the position, along with resume or curriculum vitae, copies of transcript(s), and names of three professional references, to:
200 Michigan Street
Hancock, MI 49930
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.