Title: Assistant Professor/Instructor of Mathematics
Department: Suomi College of Arts & Sciences, Math & Science Department
Supervisor: Dean, SCAS
Status/Type: Full-time (9 months) / Professional – Exempt
Position Summary: The Assistant Professor of Mathematics is a full-time, tenure-track faculty position. The Instructor of Mathematics is a one-year faculty position with annual renewal. The duties include teaching, student advising, curriculum development, university service, professional development, and other duties as assigned in accordance with the faculty handbook.
- A PhD in Mathematics or a related discipline to be considered at the assistant professor level.
- An M.A. or M.S. in Mathematics or a related discipline to be considered at the instructor level.
- Previous teaching experience at a college or university.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching.
- Knowledge of learning theories and instructional techniques used to increase student learning in mathematics.
- Previous experience teaching under-prepared students.
- Teach general education courses in mathematics. Courses may include Pre-algebra, Algebra, Calculus, Quantitative Reasoning, and Statistics.
- Advise students by providing academic guidance, support for development of professional practice skills, and other assistance.
- Participate in the development of academic program curricula and assessment of student learning.
- Perform various administrative duties as required or assigned.
- Assist in the development and mentorship of student research.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Provide service to the university, including serving on university committees as assigned.
- Participate in student recruitment and retention efforts.
- Adhere to university policies and procedures.
- Work collegially and professionally with students, employees and external constituents.
- Demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life.
- Perform other duties as required, as assigned by supervisor, or in accordance with the faculty handbook.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Alyson DeLandsheer, Human Resources Manager/Title IX Coordinator, (906) 487-7339, firstname.lastname@example.org.
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Review of application will begin Feb 18, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
E-mail or mail a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, three letters of recommendation from professional references, copies of graduate transcripts, and supporting materials (e.g., teaching evaluations, teaching portfolio) to:Darren Bausano
Administrative Assistant, Suomi College of Arts & Sciences
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930