Title: Assistant Professor of General Biology/Chemistry
Department: Math & Science; Suomi College of Arts & Sciences
Supervisor: Dean, SCAS
Category: Full-time (9 months) / Faculty / Tenure-Track
Position Description: The Assistant Professor of General Biology/Chemistry is a full-time, tenure-track faculty position. Duties include teaching, assessment, student advising, curriculum development, professional development, university service, and other duties as assigned in accordance with the faculty handbook.
- A PhD in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, or related field is required. ABDs will be considered and are encouraged to apply (degree must be completed within one year of appointment).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Previous college-level teaching experience and a demonstrated commitment to teaching.
- Previous experience with undergraduate research.
- Teach General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, and related biology courses in a bachelor’s degree program. Ability to teach General Physics and Microbiology is also desirable.
- Develop innovative laboratory activities and assignments, where appropriate.
- Advise students by providing academic guidance, support for development of professional practice skills, and other assistance.
- Participate in the development of academic program curricula and assessment of student learning.
- Perform various administrative duties as required or assigned.
- Assist in the development and mentorship of student research.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Provide service to the university, including serving on university committees as assigned.
- Participate in student recruitment and retention efforts.
- Adhere to university policies and procedures.
- Work collegially and professionally with students, employees, and external constituents.
- Demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life.
- Perform other duties as required, as assigned by supervisor, or in accordance with the faculty handbook.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Alyson DeLandsheer, Human Resources Manager/Title IX Coordinator , (906) 487-7339, firstname.lastname@example.org
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Finlandia University participates in the federal E-Verify system. Individuals hired into positions must have their identity and work eligibility confirmed by the E-Verify system. We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.
Review of applications will begin Feb 14, 2020 and continue until the position is filled.
Email or mail cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, letters of recommendation from three professional references, copies of graduate transcripts, and supporting materials (i.e., teaching evaluations, teaching portfolio) to:Natalia Borgen
Administrative Assistant, Suomi College of Arts & Sciences
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930