Supervisor: Head Women’s Hockey Coach
Status/Type: Part-Time/ Non-Exempt
The Assistant Women’s Hockey Coach is responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of a successful intercollegiate women’s ice hockey program by fulfilling specific job responsibilities in the intercollegiate athletic department. The Assistant Coach is expected to work as a team-player with primary responsibilities of helping coordinate all aspects of the women’s hockey program and adhering to all NCAA and NCHA rules for the sport of hockey. The Assistant Coach should foster student personal growth and development, as well academic and athletic achievement. The Assistant Coach is viewed as a mentor and advocate of equity and diversity within the athletic department.
- Minimum of one to three years coaching experience at the junior, high school or college level or demonstrated successful head coaching background
- Strong interpersonal, management, and communication skills
- Knowledge of, and experience working within, organizational rules and regulations
- Strong work ethic, integrity, and a positive attitude
- Adaptable to a dynamic environment characteristic of an institution experiencing enrollment growth and program development
- Bachelor’s degree in sports management or a business-related field
- Proven coaching success at the NCAA Division I or III level with regard to team/program performance
- Recruit, retain and coach sport-specific student-athletes to the university in the sport of women’s ice hockey and maintain an annual roster of at least 26 players
- Collaborate with the athletic academic coordinator and university faculty to monitor academic progress of student-athletes to ensure that athletic eligibility and academic standards are maintained
- Provide leadership to ensure that student-athletes conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with university and athlete code of conduct, working directly with the Head Hockey Coach, Student Affairs personnel, and related staff
- Report game statistics to the Sports Information Director or other designated personnel
- Adhere to all NCAA Division III and Northern Collegiate Hockey Association rules and regulations governing collegiate athletics and the sport of women’s ice hockey
- Adhere to university policies and procedures
- Work collegially and professionally with students, employees, and external constituents
- Support institutional identity and mission of Finlandia University as “a learning community dedicated to academic excellence, spiritual growth, and service”
- Perform other duties as required and/or assigned
E-mail cover letter and resume to:
Application review will begin immediately, with anticipated starting date as soon as possible.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following office, VP of Academic Affairs/Title IX Coordinator has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns. The office is located in Mannerheim Hall.