Title: Academic Coordinator, TRIO Upward Bound
Department: TRIO Pre-College Programs
Supervisor: Director, TRIO Pre-College Programs
Status/Type: Exempt – 10.5-month position (Sept. 7 – late July), expected start date is September 7, 2021 or as soon as position is filled
Coordinate and lead various activities and services for low-income, first-generation students, in particular academic/tutoring services, designed to promote success in secondary school to access and successfully complete postsecondary education to accomplish TRIO Upward Bound grant-funded objectives by the US Department of Education.
- Minimum of a B.S./B.A. degree, prefer master’s, in education, social services, and/or a related field.
- Experience in academic advising and/or teaching youth, with a strong commitment to working with disadvantaged students.
- Must possess good interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; demonstrate strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks with an attention to details and accuracy.
- Dependable transportation, valid license, and good driving record.
- Demonstrated computer skills specifically in Google Suite, Word, Excel, social media networks and various computer devices.
- Experience working in an education environment and with low-income, first-generation population.
- Ability to role model characteristics of successful higher education degree earning individual by working independently with minimal supervision and ability to use judgment when dealing with confidential information.
- Preference given to individuals who have succeeded in overcoming disadvantages and circumstances similar to those of the populations of the target area.
- Coordinate and conduct one-on-one and group tutoring/instruction, study and test-taking skills workshops, SAT and college prep courses, academic advising and collaborative learning activities; activities promoting completion of secondary education, and entrance into, and completion of, postsecondary education.
- Oversee and instruct a course during the summer program component.
- Ensure implementation and successful progress towards project objectives.
- Create and maintain channels of referral into the program and publicize project services and upkeep correspondence in regards to recruitment/acceptance and an advocate for participant population.
- Knowledge of college and financial aid application procedures.
- Willingness to travel to local high schools with university and personal vehicle.
- Direct and train academic year tutors and summer program staff.
- Assume responsibility for proper data collection and documentation of student report cards and standardized test scores.
- Responsible for the creation of monthly meeting calendars and compilation/distribution of monthly stipends to eligible participants.
- Willing to work nights and weekends when scheduled and attend overnight project trips and professional development opportunities.
- Work collegially and professionally with participants, employees, and external constituents.
- Adhere to university policies and procedures.
- Support institutional identity and mission of Finlandia University “as a learning community dedicated to academic excellence, spiritual growth, and service”.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Mail or e-mail(preferred) a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Director, TRIO Pre-College Programs
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The Title IX Coordinator has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns. The Title IX Coordinator’s office is located in Mannerheim Hall, Room 150.
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER