Title: Academic Advisor/Public Relations & Media Specialist
Department: TRIO Pre-College Programs (Talent Search & Upward Bound)
Supervisor: Director, TRIO Pre-College Programs
Status/Type: Exempt – 10.5-month position (Tuesday after Labor Day – late July), prorated salary based on start date as soon as position is filled.
A highly motivated, self-directed, organized, and creative individual who will coordinate and lead activities and services through various avenues, including virtual curriculum, social media, presentations, and special events for low-income, first-generation 6th-12th grade students. In particular, activities and services designed to promote success in secondary school to access and successfully complete postsecondary education to accomplish TRIO Pre-College grant-funded objectives by the US Department of Education.
- Minimum B.S./B.A. degree, prefer master’s, in education, social services, or related field.
- Experience in academic advising and/or teaching youth.
- Experience in developing and managing social media platforms and websites.
- Demonstrated computer skills specifically in Google Suite, Microsoft Office Suite.
- Working knowledge of various pieces of technology.
- Team player who is willing to support fellow staff in their student outreach as needed.
- Dependable transportation, valid license, and good driving record.
- Experience working in an education environment and with low-income, first-generation population.
- Ability to meet and deal effectively with the public and comfortable with public speaking.
- Knowledge of post-secondary and financial aid application procedures.
- An individual who has succeeded in overcoming disadvantages and circumstances similar to those of the populations of the target area.
- Ability to use judgment when dealing with confidential information.
- Comfortable with soliciting small donations from local businesses.
- Assist in the coordination and conduction of one-on-one and group academic advising and collaborative learning activities; activities promoting and encouraging access to postsecondary education; primarily through virtual curriculum.
- Ensure implementation and successful progress towards project objectives.
- Create and maintain channels of referral into the program and publicize project services.
- Planning and implementing a College and Career Fair. ? Create a virtual curriculum and promotional materials. ? Work directly with program seniors to ensure high school graduation, postsecondary entrance, and FAFSA completion. Direct program seniors to scholarship opportunities and assist in their application process. ? Assist program seniors in the transition from high school to postsecondary education throughout the summer.
- Lead the staff in the development and implementation of community events that benefit the TRIO Pre-College projects. ? Develop and maintain TRIO Pre-College social media networks, website, and all materials within.
- Assist fellow staff in the creation of virtual curriculum in the form of videos, podcasts, etc.
- Willingness to travel to schools located in the Western Upper Peninsula with either a Finlandia University or personal vehicle and assist in the transportation of students to and/or from a school and an event.
- Assume responsibility for proper data collection and documentation.
- Willing to work a flexible schedule, which may include overnights project trips and an occasional weekend.
- Adhere to university policies and procedures.
- Support institutional identity and mission of Finlandia University “as a learning community dedicated to academic excellence, spiritual growth, and service”.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Mail or e-mail(preferred) a cover letter, resume, and at least three references to:
Director, TRIO Pre-College Programs
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Fredi DeYampert, Title IX Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org. 906-487-7301.
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER