Title: Student Affairs Summer Intern
Department: Student Affairs
Supervisor: Dean of Students
Category: Part-time / Staff / Exempt
Position Dates: May 25, 2020-July 22, 2020 (end date negotiable; minimum commitment of 8 weeks)
Position Summary: Responsible for developing resources, programs, and enhancing the existing student engagement practices for the Division of Student Affairs at Finlandia University. The summer intern will oversee a week long youth theatre camp, assist with the coordination and planning of Finlandia’s new student orientation programs, plan fall welcome activities, assist with fall housing placements, and support activities related to the Fall 2020 launch of the Center for Vocation and Career. Reports to the Dean of Students and Enrollment.
- One year of experience in an accredited higher education master’s program and with an interest in pursuing a career in student affairs.
- Enrolled in a higher education administration, college student personnel, or related graduate degree program.
- No other commitments during this this timeframe including internships, employment, or academic courses (unless it pertains to this internship).
- Must possess strong self-motivation and capacity for self-directed work.
- Ability to live on campus in a provided space.
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact sensitively with students, families, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds.
- Conditional offer pending a criminal background check.
- Responsible for the co-supervision of summer residents.
- Foster a positive, educational, and fun community; emphasize mutual respect and inclusiveness in residence halls and activities.
- Responsible for assisting in the planning and preparation of fall RA Training.
- Assist with fall housing placements.
Youth Summer Theatre Camp: (June 14-20)
- Supervise undergraduate student helpers.
- Assist instructors for duration of camp.
- Assist with sound and lighting, as needed.
- Oversee check in and check out of youth participants.
- Plan and facilitate post-care activities.
New Student Orientation:
- Assist with the planning and scheduling of New Student Orientation activities and fall welcome events.
- Update Orientation Leader handbook.
- Update student handbook.
- Coordinate with a variety of Finlandia departments including Residence Life, Dining Services, Academic Support, Marketing, Academic Affairs, Athletics and Admissions.
- Demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life.
- Perform other duties as required.
Training Provided: Training will take place throughout the first week of work, including goal setting, expectation setting and development of learning outcomes to frame the experience. The intern will also have the opportunity to spend one-on-one time with various administrators across campus to better understand the campus community and gain a more holistic experience.
Compensation and Other Benefits: Stipend of $500 every two weeks; individual residence hall room with shared en-suite bathroom; full meal plan; on-campus parking; travel reimbursement up to $300; access to campus fitness facilities.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Alyson DeLandsheer, Human Resources Manager/Title IX Coordinator, (906) 487-7339, firstname.lastname@example.org
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Finlandia University participates in the federal E-Verify system. Individuals hired into positions must have their identity and work eligibility confirmed by the E-Verify system. We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.
Internship offers will be extended by April 10, 2020.
Email or mail cover letter, resume, and three references by February 21, 2020 to:Erin Barnett
Dean of Students
601 Quincy Street
Hancock, MI 49930