Campus News
Home » Campus News and Events » September 2011-University News Archive » 9-6-11, Six UP Colleges Forge UP-wide "Reverse Transfer" Agreement

Please enter a search term to begin your search.

Finlandia, Michigan Tech Participating in UP-wide "Reverse Transfer" Agreement

HANCOCK, MI - Michigan Technological University and Finlandia University are among six Upper Peninsula of Michigan higher education institutions that have forged a formal agreement to help students complete a "reverse transfer" associate degree while working on a bachelor's degree.

The initiative is designed to benefit Upper Peninsula college students, in particular.

Students and their families are generally aware that associate degree credits can be applied toward bachelor degree requirements, but they are not always familiar with the concept of "reverse transfer," which applies academic credits awarded at the baccalaureate level to an unfinished associate degree.

"The associate degree is a valuable credential in the employment market, both as evidence of job preparation and for career advancement," said Philip Johnson, president of Finlandia University. "This option will give students a degree they can use to enter the workforce while they continue on to a bachelor's degree."

Glenn D. Mroz, president of Michigan Tech, agreed. "The associate degree is a valuable asset for our transfer students, and we're very pleased that their Michigan Tech coursework will help them earn this initial academic credential," he said, "In addition, the reverse transfer program reinforces our relationship with other Upper Peninsula colleges and universities."

In addition to Finlandia and Michigan Tech, Upper Peninsula schools participating in the agreement are Bay College, Gogebic Community College, Lake Superior State University and Northern Michigan University.

The institutions' presidents hope the agreement will address three issues in particular: undocumented learning, increasing and promoting associate degree completion for transfer students, and encouraging students to continue on to a bachelor's degree.

Students interested in taking advantage of the reverse transfer program should visit the registrar's office of their college or university for more information.