Title: Gift Officer
Department: Advancement/Office of the President
Status/Type: Full Time/Non-exempt
The gift officer develops and implements initiatives that build enduring, mutually beneficial relationships with Finlandia supporters that lead to increased giving levels over time. Through discovery and cultivation this person is expected to help grow Finlandia’s donor base and regularly solicit multi-level financial gifts from alumni and friends. She/he reports directly to the chief advancement officer. This position relates to various departments across campus including the offices of student and academic affairs, institutional research, athletics, marketing and communications, alumni relations, and university relations. Core qualities and competencies required include an informed and matured enthusiasm for the vision and mission of Finlandia University, exceptional drive and energy, ease with gift solicitation, a persistently collaborative orientation in all planning, and superior interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from a recognized institution of higher learning
- Demonstrated effectiveness and progressive professional development in higher education, advancement, or similar
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and habits
- Ability to meet project deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office tools
- Ability to maintain strictest confidentiality
- Sufficient initiative required to work independently
- Willingness and ability to work with database system EMPOWER
- Ability to travel for successive days in a row and work evenings or weekends if required
Preferred Qualifications, Skills, and Qualities
- Finlandia alumna or alumnus or graduate of another ELCA college or university
- Demonstrated leadership capacity
- Social media network development experience
Core Area of Activity
Fundraising; including donor discovery, cultivation, gift solicitation, and stewardship
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend weekly advancement staff meetings and participate fully in operational and strategic planning
- In collaboration with advancement staff establish personal and unit-wide advancement goals and strategies to achieve them
- Build and maintain a dedicated donor portfolio of no fewer than 200 Finlandia alumni and friends resulting in annual average growth in both total dollars raised and total gifts received.
- Prepare and execute a 12-month calendar of donor visits and events
- Prepare and present relevant reports
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrate support for and engagement with Finlandia’s strategic vision to become more fully a whole learning community accompanying the whole student toward a whole life.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Karin Van Dyke, Title IX Coordinator, (906) 487-7344, firstname.lastname@example.org
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
601 Quincy St.
Hancock, MI 49930