Title: Assistant Professor of Psychology
Department: Social Sciences; Suomi College of Arts and Sciences
Supervisor: Dean, SCAS
Status/Type: Full-time (9 months) / Professional – Exempt
The Assistant Professor of Psychology position is a full-time, tenure-track faculty position. The preferred area of expertise is in Cognitive, Clinical, Developmental, or Personality Psychology. The duties include teaching, student advising, professional development and research, university service, and other duties as assigned in accordance with the faculty handbook. The ability to engage students is research is highly desirable.
- A PhD in Psychology is required. ABDs will be considered and are encouraged to apply.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Previous college-level teaching experience and a demonstrated commitment to teaching.
- Previous experience with undergraduate research.
- Teach courses in the Psychology major. Courses may include Introductory Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Personality Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Counseling, Research Methods and Statistics, History & Systems, and upper-level courses in area of expertise.
- Advise students by providing academic guidance, support for development of professional practice skills, and other assistance.
- Participate in the development and evaluation of academic program curricula.
- Perform various administrative duties as required or assigned.
- Assist in the development and mentorship of student research.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Provide service to the university, including serving on university committees as assigned.
- Participate in student recruitment and retention efforts.
- Adhere to university policies and procedures.
- Work collegially and professionally with students, employees, and external constituents.
- Support institutional identity and mission of Finlandia University as “a learning community dedicated to academic excellence, spiritual growth, and service”.
- Perform other duties as required, as assigned by supervisor, or in accordance with the faculty handbook.
As a learning community Finlandia University recognizes and affirms the dignity and worth of all people and cultures. We will strive to provide an institutional climate that does not perpetuate or tolerate forms of discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, developing and retaining a qualified and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Finlandia University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex/gender, age, disability, religion, veteran status, familial status, height, weight, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law in admissions, employment, athletics, programs, and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies or gender equity concerns: Karin VanDyke; Title IX Coordinator; (906) 487-7344; email@example.com
FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Review of application will begin January 30, 2017 and continue until the position is filled.
E-mail or mail cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, letters of recommendation from three professional references, copies of graduate transcripts, and supporting materials (i.e., teaching evaluations, teaching portfolio) to:Jason Oyadomari, PhD
Interim Dean, Suomi College of Arts & Sciences
Hancock, MI 49930