Please enter a search term to begin your search.
Welcome International Students!
Finlandia is a fully-accredited, small, private university located in Michigan's beautiful Upper Peninsula near Lake Superior. We offer undergraduate (bachelor's) degrees in International Business, Nursing, Art & Design, and Liberal Arts, in a safe, small-town environment. We look forward to making you welcome here!
We have an on-campus English Language Program for students who have not taken an English Proficiency Exam, or whose score is too low for direct admission into a degree program. Students may spend one to four semesters in the English Language Program, depending on their skill level at time of admission. Click Here for more ESL info.
How to Apply
To apply to attend Finlandia University, please submit the following:
Online International Application (No application fee) --OR--
PLEASE SEND ALL OTHER APPLICATION MATERIALS to:
1. AFFIDAVIT OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT: Print this form, fill in all information, affix signatures of applicant AND sponsor (and bank official), and then send original.
2. FINANCIAL STATEMENTS: Send original or certified copies of a notarized or certified letter of support from the student's sponsor AND recent, official bank statement showing sponsor's available funds. Costs at Finlandia University range from $26,400- $28,500 USD for educational and living expenses for one academic year (two semesters).
3. PASSPORT: Copy or scan the picture page of your passport (may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org )
4. TRANSCRIPTS: Official secondary school transcripts (grade report) and Certification of Secondary School Completion (or final state exam scores) with English translation. (Certified copies are acceptable, but original final transcripts with English translation must be brought or sent to Finlandia before enrollment can be completed)
5. TRANSFER STUDENTS: ALL official post-secondary (university or tertiary, institute, certificate school, etc.) transcripts must be signed by the school official and sent by the school directly to Finlandia University in a sealed envelope. See address below. Grade Key should be printed on transcript. Certification of Secondary School Completion should be included. Official (English) translation should be certified and included, if necessary. Grade point average and eligibility for academic scholarship will be calculated by international admissions staff at Finlandia University.
5. PERSONAL STATEMENT: Explain your career goals and your reasons for choosing Finlandia University. Discuss your work and volunteer experience, and any sport, theater, music, art or hobby interests (1 typed page maximum). If you have been out of school for more than 10 months, include reference letters from employer, volunteer supervisor, and/or former instructors or advisors. Send with your other application materials. Please write full name and date on statement.
6. ENGLISH PROFICIENCY TEST SCORE: Finlandia requires international applicants to send ONE of the following official scores for admission to degree programs: (TOEFL, SAT 1, IELTS, PTE, STEP-Japan only). Scores must be fewer than two (2) years old.
TOEFL: minimum 550 PBT, 213 CBT, 79 iBT http://www.ets.org/toefl
SAT 1: minimum 420 writing, 500 critical reading, http://www.collegeboard.com
(Finlandia University Institution Code Number for submitting TOEFL and SAT test scores: 1743)
IELTS: minimum 6.0 overall band score (minimum 6.0 writing and speaking portion) http://www.ielts.org (IELTS is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia, and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations.)
PTE: minimum 53 (NOTE: score reports available in 5 days) http://www.pearsonpte.com/PTEAcademic
STEP: (Japan only) "STEP Pre-1st" allows for admission to any undergraduate degree program; "STEP 2A" allows for conditional admission to degree program (ESL or English language program required).
If your score is below the minimum required, or if score is not available before enrollment, you will be considered for admission to our on-campus English Language Program and conditional admission to your chosen degree program. In order to begin your degree program following the English language program, you must achieve a passing score on one of the official tests listed above, or on Finlandia's English Placement test. A minimum of one semester of ESL classes may be required for international students who do not submit a standard English test score with their application.
OPTIONAL HEALTH FORM
This form is REQUIRED for Student-athletes. If you are considering playing any sports or joining a team, please complete this form before arrival. Most students find it much easier to complete the health requirements and obtain the required signature in their own country.
Finlandia accepts applications and admits students on a rolling basis, but to be considered for Fall (August) Semester enrollment, all required application materials must be received by Finlandia University Admissions by June 15. Students should plan to arrive on campus the third week of August.
To be considered for Spring (January) semester enrollment, all required application materials must be received by Finlandia University Admissions by October 15. Students should plan to arrive on campus in early January.
Please address any questions you may have to our international admissions team at email@example.com.
International Student Forms (Required)
International Student Forms (Optional)
Contact an adviser near you for guidance on finding and applying to an accredited U.S. college or university: EducationUSA http://www.educationusa.info/