Please enter a search term to begin your search.
Early Alert System Procedures
The goals of the Early Alert System are to:
Academic Support Services defines struggling students as those who:
If you notice a student struggling in your class, these are the steps for the Early Alert System:
1. Classroom Management: Reach out to the student and meet with them. Discuss TLC, Academic Support Services, Director of Living and Learning, and their advisor (and TRiO, if they qualify) as the support system.
2. Early Alert: If the student is still struggling, or if the student says they are struggling in more than your class, submit the Early Alert Form.
a. The Early Alert form will be collected. The students' advisor will be notified by email of the concern.
3. Advisor: Once the advisor receives the email, the advisor should contact the student to meet.
a. Academic Support Services with follow up with the advisor to discuss the student and meet with the student if needed.
4. Communication: Academic Support Services will follow up with the instructor to inform them as to the steps taken by the advisor and Academic Support Services.
5. If the student is still struggling after these steps have been taken, some decisions should be made about withdrawing from the class.
When should I start the Early Alert System?
Early intervention is best done as soon as a potential problem is recognized. By identifying struggling and potentially struggling students as early in the term as possible, there are simply more options to address student problems.
For a 16-week term, Early Alert should be completed no later than the sixth week of the term. For an 8-week class, Early Alert should be completed no later than the third week of the term.
Feedback to faculty instructor is essential
All advisors and/or staff will provide you with feedback regarding the students you have referred for Early Alert.
Student doesn't meet the struggling criteria
If you have a student you have concern for that does not meet the defined struggling criteria. Please contact Director of Living and Learning immediately.
What will happen to my referral?
Academic Support Services will track the students that have been identified.