|Summer semester starts Monday, May 20, 2013
Adverse Weather Closing Procedure
If it becomes necessary to cancel classes due to adverse weather conditions, Finlandia will proceed under one of these scenarios:
1. Finlandia University classes are cancelled, but offices are open.
2. Finlandia University is closed. Only personnel who provide essential services to students should report. (Food Service, Maintenance, and Security)
3. Finlandia University offices will open at (TIME) and classes will begin at (TIME).
Notification will be given by the following means:
1. Area radio stations, including those affiliated with Houghton Community Broadcasting (FM 97.7, 102.3) and Eagle Radio (FM 105.7, 98.5), WMPL FM 93.5
2. TV-6 (Marquette) on the air and www.UpperMichiganSource.com
3. ABC channels 5 & 10
4. Email to students, faculty, and staff
5. Telephone Audix
6. Finlandia University Website www.finlandia.edu
7. Text messaging (see instructions below)
Factors affecting our decision will include temperature, snow fall, wind, road conditions, and road closings.
On days when Finlandia classes are in session and weather conditions warrant a mid-day closing of the university, it will be announced via AUDIX, student and employee email, text messaging, Finlandia University Website, and the through the media.
Adverse weather conditions preventing students from attending classes will be considered excused absences, permitting the make-up of missed assignments. Students should check with their instructors by the next day regarding appropriate arrangements. Instructors may schedule make-up class sessions to ensure sufficient instructional contact hours.
On days when Finlandia classes are in session, any mid-day closing of public schools will be communicated via AUDIX and e-mail to all faculty, staff, and students. Faculty are encouraged to announce this news in their classes and to permit students to make arrangements for their school-age children, if needed.
Finlandia University-Emergency/Weather Text Service Invitation
In our ongoing effort to quickly and directly share important information with the campus community, Finlandia University will notify you of campus emergencies and delays/closings via a text message to your cell phone. This service is free and available to all Finlandia campus community members. To sign up, follow the directions below:
1.Send a text message with the word "fualert" to 33733.
2. To unsubscribe, text the word "stop" to the number 33733.
Your safety is always the most important thing to us. Be careful and use good judgment.