Finlandia is a fully-accredited, small, private university located in Michigan’s beautiful Upper Peninsula near Lake Superior.
We offer undergraduate (bachelor’s) degrees in International Business, Nursing, Art & Design, and Liberal Arts, in a safe, small-town environment. We look forward to making you welcome here!
English Language Program (ESL)
We have an on-campus English Language Program for students who have not taken an English Proficiency Exam, or whose score is too low for direct admission into a degree program. Students may spend one to four semesters in the English Language Program, depending on their skill level at time of admission.
Meet Our International Students
Kumiko Takahashi | Kanagawa, Japan
Kumiko studied ESL at Finlandia in 2007-2008, and she is currently finishing an associates degree in General Studies at Finlandia.
“I’ve experienced a lot through the activities and classes at Finlandia University. Experiences I would never be able to have in my country. I’m very thankful for our teachers’ help, my new friends, and the kindness and hospitality of everyone at Finlandia. What I’ve done here is unforgettable! I’ll have these wonderful memories all my life!”
Salome Mnzava | Tanzania
Salome is completing a bachelor’s degree in Business.
“Hi everyone, my name is Salome and I’m from Tanzania, East Africa. I am so honored and grateful to be at Finlandia University. I have completed a BBA in accounting, and grown spiritually. The best things I will forever remember from Finlandia are the fabulous people that I have met during my stay here. I’m so blessed to have known them.”
Amanda Moyer | United States | Sophomore, Art and Design
Amanda is an American member of the International Club.
“My two years at Finlandia have so far created some of the best memories and learning experiences in my life. The range of international students to learn from and grow with has enhanced every one of those experiences. I truly appreciate the opportunity to explore and learn from so many cultures in such a vibrant, yet intimately sized, school.”
How to Apply
Online International Application (no application fee)
SEND ALL OTHER APPLICATION MATERIALS TO:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- International Admissions | Finlandia University
601 Quincy Street| Hancock, MI 49930 USA
- AFFIDAVIT OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT (PDF): Print this form, fill in all information, affix signatures of applicant AND sponsor (and bank official), and then send original.
- FINANCIAL STATEMENTS: Send original or certified copies of a notarized or certified letter of support from the student’s sponsor AND recent, official bank statement showing sponsor’s available funds. Costs at Finlandia University range from $28,400- $31,500 USD for educational and living expenses for one academic year (two semesters).
- PASSPORT: Copy or scan the picture page of your passport (may be sent to email@example.com).
- TRANSCRIPTS: Official secondary school transcripts (grade report) and Certification of Secondary School Completion (or final state exam scores) with English translation. (Certified copies are acceptable, but original final transcripts with English translation must be brought or sent to Finlandia before enrollment can be completed).
- TRANSFER STUDENTS: ALL official post-secondary (university or tertiary, institute, certificate school, etc.) transcripts must be signed by the school official and sent by the school directly to Finlandia University in a sealed envelope. See address below. Grade Key should be printed on transcript. Certification of Secondary School Completion should be included. Official (English) translation should be certified and included, if necessary. Grade point average and eligibility for academic scholarship will be calculated by international admissions staff at Finlandia University.
- PERSONAL STATEMENT: Explain your career goals and your reasons for choosing Finlandia University. Discuss your work and volunteer experience, and any sport, theater, music, art or hobby interests (1 typed page maximum). If you have been out of school for more than 10 months, include reference letters from employer, volunteer supervisor, and/or former instructors or advisors. Send with your other application materials. Please write full name and date on statement.
- ENGLISH PROFICIENCY TEST SCORE: Finlandia requires international applicants to send ONE of the following official scores for admission to degree programs: (TOEFL, SAT 1, IELTS, PTE, STEP-Japan only). Scores must be fewer than two (2) years old. (Exceptions may be made for students attending schools in Canada, The Bahamas, Barbados, The U.K., or the U.S.).
TOEFL minimum 550 PBT, 213 CBT, 79 iBT
SAT 1 minimum 420 writing, 500 critical reading, (Finlandia University Institution Code Number for submitting TOEFL and SAT test scores: 1743)
IELTS minimum 6.0 overall band score (minimum 6.0 writing and speaking portion) (IELTS is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia, and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations.)
PTE minimum 53 (NOTE: score reports available in 5 days)
STEP (Japan only) “STEP Pre-1st” allows for admission to any undergraduate degree program; “STEP 2A” allows for conditional admission to degree program (ESL or English language program required).
PLEASE ARRANGE FOR YOUR SCORE REPORT TO BE SENT DIRECTLY FROM TESTING SERVICE to:
International Admissions | Finlandia University
601 Quincy Street| Hancock, MI 49930 USA
If your score is below the minimum required, or if score is not available before enrollment, you will be considered for admission to our on-campus English Language Program and conditional admission to your chosen degree program. In order to begin your degree program following the English language program, you must achieve a passing score on one of the official tests listed above, or on Finlandia’s English Placement test. A minimum of one semester of ESL classes may be required for international students who do not submit a standard English test score with their application.
OPTIONAL HEALTH FORM
This form is REQUIRED for Student-athletes. If you are considering playing any sports or joining a team, please complete this form before arrival. Most students find it much easier to complete the health requirements and obtain the required signature in their own country.
Finlandia accepts applications and admits students on a rolling basis, but to be considered for Fall (August) Semester enrollment, all required application materials must be received by Finlandia University Admissions by June 15. Students should plan to arrive on campus the third week of August.
To be considered for Spring (January) semester enrollment, all required application materials must be received by Finlandia University Admissions by October 15. Students should plan to arrive on campus in early January.
Please address any questions you may have to our international admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Student Forms (Optional)
International Student Health Form (PDF)
EducationUSA – Contact an adviser near you for guidance on finding and applying to an accredited U.S. college or university