Mon-Fri. 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
The TRIO Student Support Services project at Finlandia University provides academic services to empower 180 qualifying TRIO Logo students to articulate and achieve their personal, educational and career goals.
TRIO Student Support Services delivers a program of academic and personal support designed in partnership with the student. Services support students in ts persisting from one academic year to the next and to graduate with a bachelor degree.
You are eligible for TRIO Student Support Services if:
You are a first generation college student and you have financial need – OR – you have a disability.
first generation college student
Being a first generation college student means that neither one of your parents or the biological parent that you resided with primarily did not complete a four-year college or university bachelor degree.
Having financial need means that your individual or family’s taxable income falls below the official federal income figure determined by family size.
Having a disability means that you have a documented physical or learning disability that may affect your role as a student.
Academic need includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:
- HS or college GPA below 3.0
- composite ACT score of 20 or below
- earned GED
- failing grades
- out of school 5 years or more
- undeclared major/or no clear career goals
- single parent
- need for personal counseling
The TRIO SSS staff will contact you upon receipt of your application. For more information please contact, Cindy Cowell at (906) 487-7346 or Terri Olsen at (906) 487-7296.
How to Participate
To become a TRIO Participant you must complete the following steps:
- Qualify under the eligibility guidelines listed above.
- Fill out the TRIO Student Support Services Application.
- Make an appointment to meet with a TRIO/SSS Professional Academic Coach where we will:
- Assess your strengths and challenges as a learner
- Create a Graduation and Career Plan including educational goals to map your course to your bachelor degree
- Connect you with all of the resources available to your to achieve academic and personal success
You are not eligible to use TRIO services such as tutoring until you have met with a professional academic coach.
Slots are limited. Students are selected for participation by October. Incoming students, who receive application packets in the mail, do not wait. If you are interested in participating in the program return your application ASAP as soon as you receive it.
You will have opportunities during orientation to apply and make an appointment with a TRIO SSS Academic Coach. Stop by Nikander 11 to make your appointment as soon as possible.
Remember you are not a participant until you have completed all three steps.
TRIO/SSS is funded by a grant through the U.S. Department of Education.